Thread: Palette Knife Problem

Gallery
    View images

Palette Knife Problem

I've encountered a frustrating problem in ArtRage. It's really what is keeping me from using it for any of my more extensive illustration works. The problem is with the palette knife. When I use it to blend colors, they tend to "go" one of two ways: red or green. Meaning they will suddenly become muddy with either red or green that wasn't there before... These same colors can be blended in Photoshop and remain true to the initial colors laid down on the canvas. This seems to apply more to the .psd and other files I import than those I paint from scratch entirely in ArtRage... Or at least I notice it more with imported files.

Also is there any way to import an image as "wet paint," such that Art Rage won't treat the old ares of color (painted in say Photoshop) any differently than freshly laid paint (painted in ArtRage)?

Thanks!

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there,

The colour mixing results you are seeing will be a result of Artrage's gamma-corrected digital RGB colour mixing model. We are considering other more real-world colour mixing models for future versions of ArtRage.

One difference between imported images and normal media in Artrage is that imported images are brought into Artrage as thin wet paint. At some point we may look at having the ability to have variable paint thickness and other import options for external files. What you'll be noticing is that blending on layers imported from a PSD into Artrage will tend to "run out" of paint quicker due to this.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the quick responses.

I really do hope you adopt a different color mixing model that doesn't do the red/green thing!

As far as importing goes, I did notice the thin paint you spoke of. I really would love a way to control the paint thickness on imports.

Man, this makes me excited for future updates

Gallery
    View images
    Cheeze, Dave, i hope you don't change the wet paint thingy too much, i love the way i can bring up pictures and have them already to smooch around in, love ArtRage, thank you !!!!!!!!

Gallery
    View images
    I think if we do add more options for this in the future, that we wouldn't want to remove the ability to smoosh them around, we like the wet paint too Thanks!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design