ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: paint inside stencil !!!

paint inside stencil !!!

hi good people at ambient.

I really like the new 2.5 upgrade - - the stencils !!!
    thats rocking good news to me, I think its genius that you include this function - and therefore I suggest including a ;

paint inside stencil function
    ( its a good thing you can export layer to stencil - and if I could then just slab color inside my line drawing without thinking about painting out on the outside of stencil, and then have to erase that again and such.... you get it ?

I include an illustration .

thank you thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images  

jakobpolack- You can do that now. Just go ahead and make your stencil. Then right click on it and select invert stencil and you are ready to paint inside.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Fashmir, unfortunately the inverted stencil method won't work for jakobpolack. He'll end up with a stencil of thin lines. When he tries to paint inside it, his brushes will go over the thin stencil lines and will paint past them. A paint inside stencil would block you from going over a stencil part and would greatly enhance the ability to use stencils for quick fills, etc.

Mike

Thanks mikecal. I'm getting what jakobpolack wants now. I didn't see it before. It makes sense to be able to recognize a closed shape and have the stencils react accordingly. Thanks for the clarity.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

hi fashmir and mikecal.

thanks for the response, and yes mikecal -

A paint inside stencil would block you from going over a stencil part and would greatly enhance the ability to use stencils for quick fills, etc.
    that is what I want - to be able to make quick coloring of line drawings - I hope Ambient can see the cool possibilities with this function as well.

jakobp - Copenhagen,DK

I've realized that the functionality we want is already here in Artrage, but there's a bug in the stencil code that makes it not work. I'll post the bug report in the technical forum.

The basic jist of the bug is that thick/wide ruler stencils work correctly but thin ones don't. If you draw your line art, create a stencil from it, invert the stencil, and switch it to a "ruler" type, it will do exactly what you want ... so long as the initial line art is made of extremely thick lines. The thinner the lines, the more the stencil allows you bleed over. At normal drawing sized lines (15% marker, etc) the ruler effect doesn't work at all.

Mike

hi mikecal - I see what you mean.

hi mikecal - I see what you mean...the function is there !! if you paint with marker 100%,make a stencil from it, then make the stencil invert , and say ruler mode to it you have a closed area for painting !!!

however , as you state: it doesnt work with thinner lines, it bleeds over and you paint outside... im glad this caught your attention, because inside/outside is core functionality of any reasonably paint/composite program.

(and maybe the good peopleat Ambient will see this discussion.)

so if thispaint inside stencil is fixed ( and maybe add a cool version of the paintbucket click fill) AR 2.5 has yet another strong feature in a future upgrade.

regards
    jakob polack, copenhagen, denmark

I posted a detailed bug report in the technical forum, but here's what's going on. The ruler stencil will only block drawing tools that are less than twice as wide as it is. Until (unless) they fix the bug, you can sort of work around it by using thin painting tools.

For instance, say you drew your lines with a 10% marker and created a stencil from them. You should be able to use a 19% tool to color inside the box without bleeding over.

Mike

hey mikecal_thats ok

....but its not nearly good enough
    look at the drawing I posted in the top of this topic; linedrawing made with thin pencil, I like linedrawings..and perhaps im less interested in the smearing paint part of artrage - therefore I tend to make linedrawings (pencil 5-10 %max)that needs quick fills inside, and you cant quick fill with a max 20 % marker....

thank you for the research

:-)

REGARDS - jakob

I definitely agree. I do the same sorts of drawings as you, and quick fills are the one thing that makes me pine for photoshop. However, a stencil and a thin tool are better than whan I've been doing. I've been zooming way in and coloring along the line as carefully as possible. The "quick fill" tends to take 3 times as long as the rest of the drawing and is just drudgery. Here's finger's crossed that they fix the bug.

Mike