Thread: the way we paint (inside story)?

Gallery
    View images

the way we paint (inside story)?

I would like to hear from you guys as beeing such a nice community back here, how you people deal with art. Let me first reveal a bit of myself before situating my problem/question.

I am currently graduating in graphical design (NOT ART school). Still I feel I still have a bit lack on sketching skills if I may call it like this. I only draw for about two years a bit more intensive and don't have all time since college is real hard to deal with (other classes). I am doing this thing in 2 years now and it's a pain to keep up since I have to deal with 3 years in 2 instead. I made that choice and am willing to accomplish my needs.

This to explain, my sketches aren't as pure or experienced of most of the people I look around; Sometimes that really looks demotivating... But in some way I'm mostly never statisfied about myself. Though in the last year I really made some progress if I look back on things (knowing nothing from any drawing rules at first).

In art classes they always intend to maintain the importance on drawin on paper before going to use some computer. But when I look at people like "Weeks" with his insain drawing skill, I have second thoughts. I know the importance of a good sketch, but would like to hear some additional info of the more experienced users. I really like roughing things with eg. Tria markers, but really can't deal that much wit details (I hate myself on that).

1) Is it good to start a painting directly without sketching on paper first?
    2) How do you intend to start things up (3 additionally)
    3) Do you refer to certain images, constructing the image
    4) Any good tips for further progress in drawing skills?

really appreciate some serious help concerning this. I intend to buy me an intuos A5 next year when I get the money (and give in my old Volito 1). I'm also looking for doing some after hour classes in art (drawing/sketching). I really feel like I need to learn so much and get discouraged sometimes because of this... Hopefully this doesn't sound too pathetic :roll:

I think this would be the right community to ask to and it could be usefull for more people if all of you start telling a bit about theirselves , how they came to art, what they did, how they draw (with ArtRage),... And how they intend to built up a scene, with certain colors,...

I got the feeling too many people think always everything must be done digitally and the computer will draw for itselves.

I am willing to learn but need some push in the right direction, to know I am getting where I need to. I made the wrong decisions in the past (studying the wrong things first), and would like to fasten things up where possible...

appreciate the help...

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Divian,

You don't have to do it the same way every time.

When I draw, I do incredibly detailed sketches that make Watercolourists/Aquarelles go and hide in cupboards. I don't use the Pencil at all, because the Airbrush does a better job. If I want incredibly fine lines I use a dark canvas with a thin coat of light paint, then use the Eraser as a super fine tipped pen.

But when I paint I just pick up one of the tools and start painting.
    Usually the Airbrush, although I've never used a real one.
    Then the Eraser to hack the rough Airbrush work into shape.
    Then I use anything that works. I don't see these tools as Oil or Water Colour or Pastel or whatever. Try everything , you can always "Undo".

I don't usually think out things like layers. When I get to a part that might ruin the previous work I create a layer. If it works OK on the layer, then I combine them.

My background is passing the Art exam at school about 400 years ago!
    Doodling my way through 30 years of Engineering meetings. Lesson in Oils with a local Art Teacher. Selling portraits, pets and Old Master tribute paintings. Then trying every form of making pictures that I could find. Silver point, Tempera, Bob Ross, la tout ensemble! Now ArtRage does it all.

Just keep looking at things and never stop!

There are some of the best Artists in the World on this Forum. If you want inspiration and constructive criticism this is the place to be.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    k, i will give it a go wherever I can. Still I am aware that I must get a stronger hold on tight measurements for certain elements. I will try to get a hold on lessons concerning anatomy for that case. Last month I did some perspective studies in traditional ways (aquarel, bister, lavis,Tria markers,...)

I will try to boost things up and sketch a bit more digitally, maybe I'll give you people a look... Can't wait till I get a hand on a better wacom. Still the Volito works fine for now (better than a mouse).

Gallery
    View images
    how i generally work:

scribble out a very rough idea of how it will look using a pencil or paint, it doesn't matter how it looks, just to get an idea of the overall composition and if there's a figure i'll try and sketch them in to get proportions and stuff right (a lot of the time i'll skip this step, mainly i just use it if i'm painting a person that i want to look roughly realistic)

next, i'll pick a background colour! a very important decision
    from there i'll use a brush to lay out big sections of colour

then once the canvas is covered (or at least the bits i want covered) i'll go back with finer brushes and work in the details, and blend them together using the palettle knife,

i tend to not use layers, although occasionally i'll do what Aged P does and try something out on a new layer then merge them,
    i find working with one layer lets me be more expressive and worry less about neatness, i almost never use undo because it's mistakes that make a painting interesting, and you can always paint over them adding something new to the image
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...

Gallery
    View images
    I went from the Volito to the Intuos A5.
    The small size works ok for me. I just forget it's there, my brain just needs the cursor now.

Some of the fancy nibs are worth trying. I took Fashmir's advice and use the sprung version, but the others may suit you better.

The tilt detector is good with the Airbrush.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    Hello! I'm a newcomer to this forum. I've been using ArtRage 2.111 for a few weeks now, and I love it to bits. Bought it immediately.

I have two main ways of working...

(1) Using photographic reference, making fairly realistic, representational art.

(2) Purely from my head.

You can find both types on my Flickr gallery... the address is in my sig file below.

The two techniques 'require' different ways of handling things.

When I'm using a photo as reference, I'm VERY disciplined about layers. My photo will be the bottom layer. The very top layer will be my line layer. And the layers in between will be designed in terms of foreground to background.

A typical pic of a person, for instance, will be layered like this:

Linework
    Colour -- Hair of person.
    Colour -- Eyes of person.
    Colour -- Face, hands, etcetera.
    Colour -- Clothing
    Colour -- Prominent bits of background
    Colour -- Ambient background
    Source photo
    BOTTOM

I'll normally work top down, so that the photo 'disappears' as I go along. Sometimes I'll switch off the source photo quite soon into the project, just using it as a line reference.

When I'm working from my head, I generally use only one or two layers, merging them frequently when I'm happy with something. I love the 'messiness' that ArtRage allows me. I can really scrape blobs of paint around, and make them work together.

This is my tool of liberation as an artist. Thanks ArtRage!

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    Just a few more cents .....
    Practice, Practice, Practice. The more you do the better you get however it is good to get positive feedback and this is the place to do just that!
    You'll know when you get there!

Gallery
    View images
    Everybody's right. It's a dimensional question you asked.

I just say keep the brush or pencil moving to where it becomes an extension of your expression, similar to speaking or body language (even if it's for commercial purposes).

Learning technique is important, especially early on. But find the artist inside yourself as soon as you can and listen to that voice.

In every painting or drawing, ask yourself what is the key in painting it for you. Is it color, lighting, subject, composition or something intellectual as in abstraction.

Emphasize your voice with whatever technique or subject matter you lock in on. And keep doing that. It will click at some point when you've got yourself wired right as an artist.

It's not so much about the technique once you find your look. That's all theatrics and it's a kick to play around with new stuff. But in addition to possibly opening new ways of looking at things, the real gauge of new tricks is how well it does what you want.

I find it better to master technique for your purposes than let technique be your master. Many have been successful at one or the other. And all roads lead to the same place eventually.

Once you have that first skill though, the rest will evolve and your expression will refine itself as you're doing it. And inspiration will pull you into an artistic space that reflects who you are inside.

Don't judge your process with the mind overmuch, at least not if you tend to be judgemental or impatient. Find the joy in whatever you choose to do. It will lessen the doubt. Do art. And if you do it, you'll understand your next step.

Good luck and enjoy!