ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Settings

Settings

I find it very time consuming,frustrating,and mostly confusing and very hard to understand, as to how to get what I want. An example is this, the pencil, is there a tut that explains how to use it ? Before anyone jumps in to say it's all trial and error, yes I know this, but, it would be nice if there was a chart or something that could give you a starting point. I guess my answer to this settings issue for all the tools is to create my own chart,this would also. Include colours and that's another big issue.
    Sorry, been at this for over an hour and not a line has been put down, had to vent

I literally have no clue how using pencil in artrage can be complicated??? at all??? there're two modes, each with 5 settings tops (noise included - eventho I don't use it), what exactly do you have issues with?
    having an example of look you're pursuing ready would help, same with specifying your tablet model.

Wow... This is new. if Artrage is difficult for you, don't ever get near to Photoshop, Corel Painter, etc. I have been into digital art for 7 years now, and I can safely say that Artrage is one of the most (if not the most) intuitive painting softwares there is.

Regarding the pencil tool. Use the sliders in the settings panels to adjust Pressure, Softness, Noise Amount, etc to your liking. Try it out. And if you have a tilt sensitive tablet you can tilt the pen to shade with the pencil.

Be patient, lad. Experiment. You want a tutorial on how to use a pencil? Well, if you know how to use a real one, it is almost the same. You touch the surface and it makes a mark... No hard science behind it.

Best of luck. Cheers.

I am using Apple iPad Pro with the �� pencil. I have been drawing all my life, lately just off and on. I use and have used H, HB, F, & B ✏️ s. I do know how to use them and when. What I was looking to do was have a dark line (HB) and a smooth line. The sliders, I guess are my problem. More like what numbers to use to get dark & light lines.
    I use AR and not other digital programs because of its easy to use setup and the cost. Art has been a hobby not a profession for me. Lately it has become more part time and patience at this time in life is just not there anymore.
    I am trying

Ah! I think I understand, and I sympathize! I'm comfortable with the traditional softness scales, and the AR pencil presets don't list the basics of my collection of H, HB, 9B etc. AR allows me to build almost infinite pencil variations, but I need fewer choices rather than more. My creativity is enhanced by working within the old parameters. Here's what I've done: I choose the pencil preset closest to what I want, fiddle with the sliders, and make a new preset that behaves as a favorite does. It was more time than I had expected to invest in creating fewer choices. (I hope that makes sense.) Maybe someone out there has already assembled an AR-pack of pencil presets that functions like the standard lineup of pencil grades?

Thank you Sueellen, nice to know I have your sympathy I may have found a solution. Purely by luck, my Apple pencil had 12% charge and every stoke was gray and light when I used a rubber tip stylus using the same pencil settings my lines came out dark and black. This is what I was trying for. I have my Apple pencil on charge at this time and I will let everyone know what happens.
    Update: The Apple Pencil has a full charge and the lines are still light. I order to get darker lines I must use the pen tool.
    Last edited by DJM; 07-24-2017 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Update

Hmmm. I wish I knew how to help. I've never used a stylus and can't even talk intelligently about them. Maybe you could ask on the Technical Discussions Forum: Windows & MacOS? I'm sure someone out there knows how to help your hardware "understand" ArtRage's software so you can use actual pencil settings instead of having to switch to the pen tool for darker lines.

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Thank you Sueellen, nice to know I have your sympathy I may have found a solution. Purely by luck, my Apple pencil had 12% charge and every stoke was gray and light when I used a rubber tip stylus using the same pencil settings my lines came out dark and black. This is what I was trying for. I have my Apple pencil on charge at this time and I will let everyone know what happens.
    Update: The Apple Pencil has a full charge and the lines are still light. I order to get darker lines I must use the pen tool.
    Some of this will just be pressure. Try adjusting the pressure setting, increase Softness, or switch to Precise Mode for darker pencil lines. You may need to adjust the overall stylus pressure as well (menu > Preferences > Stylus Preferences) as the Apple Pencil tends to be quite light. This page should help as well (note: there are some desktop only options mentioned, so ignore those): https://www.artrage.com/manuals/natu...tool-settings/
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

so you are on ipad (which means out of box tilt support, for one thing); have you tried using different paper presets and seeing if some work better than others?

if everything else fails, I'd probably suggest creating your drawings with a real pencil on paper, taking a picture with ipad's camera and building up on that with artrage.

I am using iPad Pro 10.5 with the Apple Pencil at full charge. My challenge will be to find menu>preferences >stylus preferences.The site you referred me to was a start, I still must find menu preferences. Thanks to everyone.