Thread: Artrage 2 seems to be *almost* what I need for freehand math

Gallery
    View images

Artrage 2 seems to be *almost* what I need for freehand math

Hi...

This is not an intended use of artrage, I know, but I figured you might be interested. I lecture at university and I need to produce worked answers to the problems I set, as PDF files. In the past I've scanned in pen 'n paper notes, but recently I got a large wacom tablet and found that Corel Painter gives me a very nice simulation of pen 'n ink for directly writing freehand maths into the computer.

Artrage _also_ gives a pretty good simulation, but it isn't as good, for one tiny reason: I can't find settings that allow me to make the pen tool 100% opaque (so, for example, re-crossing a line will ALWAYS make it a bit darker). For simulating written notes, I actually want the simpler behavior of the ink being 100% opaque all the time -- this makes the best chance of the notes looking clear when they are printed.

See below for an example of the effect I DON'T WANT for my particular niche application! Note that the lines are dark grey rather than black, and this is clear when they cross since then they darken. Perhaps I am missing some setting/slider that will permit 100% opacity, or perhaps this is a feature that comes with the pay-for version?

To be precise, I *do* want the anti-aliasing at the *edges* of the ink line, which gives it a realistic edge rather than a pixelated sharp one. But away from the edges, within the line (so to speak) I'd like it to be 100% opaque (i.e. simple black, if black is the chosen colour).

Gallery
    View images
    The paintbrush tool with 100% paint loading works pretty well. Just use a narrow brush setting.

Gallery
    View images
    Yeah not bad, but there are occasional artifacts at corners, due to the brush having that directionality to it.

I think the pen is the ideal tool for what I want, but perhaps the ability to make the pen 100% opaque doesn't exist.

Gallery
    View images
    In the full version, you can get a pretty opaque line with the crayon. First you set the roughness of the paper to 0%, then get a crayon and set pressure and hardness to 100%.

It's not quite as soft as the marker, but it doesn't darken when you cross your lines.

Edit: Chalk also works at 100% pressure.

Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks, I bought the full version and indeed this is "good enough" although Painter still gives a marginally better image. But then Painter is orders of magnitude more expensive!

The main imperfection with Art Rage with respect to this kind of work, and (I suspect) in other contexts too, is that there is sometimes a small unnatural artifact when you rapidly change direction on your stroke. This is most moticable with the tools that have a strong directional bias (like the brush), but oddly it occurs a bit even with round tools like the pen.

Anyway, I find that creating a canvas (smooth as you suggest) at twice the resolution of the screen, then zooming out to 50% to write, gives a good effect -- the artifacts are minimised this way.