ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Layer Problems plus missing head !

Layer Problems plus missing head !

1 PAINTING ONLY
    2 BACKGROUND ONLY
    3 ROBIN OUTLINE ONLY
    4 PAINTING + BACKGROUND
    5 OPENING LAYER ON STARTUP ( LEFT BLANK & VISIBLE AT ALL TIMES )

HI
    as you will no doubt realise i am new to Artrage ( this is my first attempt at painting/drawing also ), i retired and am looking for a non energetic hobby to fill in my days. As this is my first attempt at painting since i was at school many many years ago. i do not want to have to start the painting again from scratch. This one took me ages ! The problem i am having is that for some reason i can’t combine the painting layer on top of the background layer. if i place them together the background layer does not show through. I have tried swapping layer positions but this does not work either. Also on the Robin Outline image the head is missing ?. I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Please remember this is my first attempt so be kind with me !!
    Thank you
    Dave
    PS Can you suggest any Drawing/Painting tutorials for an ageing beginner !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PAINTING_ONLY_IMG_2625.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	88898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BACKGROUND_ONLY_IMG_2631.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	88899Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROBIN_OUTLINE_IMG_2632.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	88900Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PAINTING_+_BACKGROUND_IMG_2637.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	88901

Hello Dave and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Well, looking at the layer stack in your photos it seems to me that the top “Painting” layer has been painted on a solid white colour (same with the Robin_Outline layer) which is why nothing bellow is showing through.
    Two options;
    1: Erase all the white areas in your image 1 i.e. the layer named ‘Painting’. Could get fiddley around the edges of the actual painting. (See note for your image 5 bellow)
    2: Change the ‘Painting” layer’s ‘Blend Mode’ to ‘Multiply’ which will effectively make the white areas “disappear”.
    To do this, move your cursor over the layer thumbnail and click on the bottom right Menu square for the layer and from the pop-up menu go to ‘Blend Mode’ and select ‘Multiply’.

Looking at image 5 and it looks like at some point you have indeed erased parts of the white areas on the ‘Painting’ layer, as it looks like the painted background layer below can be seen through those areas.

As to why the head is missing on the “Robin_Outline” layer but still showing as there in the layer's thumbnail, I’m not sure? I’ve never had that happen to me before!

For tutorials have a look in the forums Tips & Tricks area. There is also the Ambient Design/ ArtRage website and of course there is YouTube, just type in ArtRage tutorials and you will be drowning in them in no time!
    Also have a look at this post here regarding some courses made by two of our many talented artists here: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...947#post503947

And lastly if in doubt about some specific, you can always ask here in the forums. And remember there is no such thing as a stupid question! We all here knew nothing about digital painting once too
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Layer Problems Plus Missing Head

Quote Originally Posted by Raselbste View Post
    First time but its not bad yet. its looking good.
    Thanks for your comments Raselbste.

Layer Problems Plus Missing Head

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello Dave and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Well, looking at the layer stack in your photos it seems to me that the top “Painting” layer has been painted on a solid white colour (same with the Robin_Outline layer) which is why nothing bellow is showing through.
    Two options;
    1: Erase all the white areas in your image 1 i.e. the layer named ‘Painting’. Could get fiddley around the edges of the actual painting. (See note for your image 5 bellow)
    2: Change the ‘Painting” layer’s ‘Blend Mode’ to ‘Multiply’ which will effectively make the white areas “disappear”.
    To do this, move your cursor over the layer thumbnail and click on the bottom right Menu square for the layer and from the pop-up menu go to ‘Blend Mode’ and select ‘Multiply’.

Looking at image 5 and it looks like at some point you have indeed erased parts of the white areas on the ‘Painting’ layer, as it looks like the painted background layer below can be seen through those areas.

As to why the head is missing on the “Robin_Outline” layer but still showing as there in the layer's thumbnail, I’m not sure? I’ve never had that happen to me before!

For tutorials have a look in the forums Tips & Tricks area. There is also the Ambient Design/ ArtRage website and of course there is YouTube, just type in ArtRage tutorials and you will be drowning in them in no time!
    Also have a look at this post here regarding some courses made by two of our many talented artists here: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...947#post503947

And lastly if in doubt about some specific, you can always ask here in the forums. And remember there is no such thing as a stupid question! We all here knew nothing about digital painting once too
    Hi Mark
    thank you very much for your advice. I changed the "Painting" layer to blend/multiply and the layers are now combined. Unfortunately the "Painting" layer is a lot darker than it should be when blended.
    When adding a new layer should i always use multiply instead of normal layers.
    Again thank you for your help Mark. I will look at the link you sent me. At the moment my painting is all guesswork, trying to learn Artrage at the same time learning how to Paint !
    Dave

Hi Montygew and welcome to the forum.

I think Mark suggested the multiply solution for this situation so that you wouldn't have to erase the white from around the robin. Usually we paint on a transparent layer - it looks like a white canvas but if you look at the layer palette you can see the 'squares' indicating it is transparent. Each new layer you add should be transparent too. Unless of course you choose to have the layer filled.

If multiply has made the robin too dark - go back to normal blend and erase all the white carefully from around the bird - you will then be able to see your background below. Don't forget the undo if you remove too much.

I don't know why the head is missing either - perhaps you erased it at some point.

Let us see your finished painting - I think you are doing great for a newie - both to painting and to AR.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Sorry I meant to reply yesterday but my internet went down yet again!
    But anyway, yes every thing that June said

Regarding Blend Modes there are times when you might want to be painting on a layer with a certain blend mode other than ‘Normal’ but that choice needs to be a deliberate one as part of the painting process for predictable results.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Layer Problems Plus Missimg Head

Hi June/Mark
    again thank you for your helpful advice. I did as you both suggested and erased the white from the layer and this worked perfectly. I can now combine the layers together properly.
    Regarding the missing head i must ,as you said ,have deleted it at some point it's just the fact that it is showing up intact in the layers palette that confused me. Now that the picture is completed i am not very happy with the background, i think i could do a lot better so that is my next project. I have uploaded the painting for you to see the layers combined as you suggested. Thank you.
    DaveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ROBIN_ARTRAGE_4.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	88908
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROBIN_ARTRAGE_4.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	371.0 KB 
ID:	88910  

Glad we could be of help
    You’ve made a great first step with your robin. So yes, onto the next picture and applying what you learned this time around to it.
    And so you artistic journey begins…
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:

What Mark said.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/