ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Photographer Trying to USe ArtRage

Photographer Trying to USe ArtRage

Folks,

I have read the Art Rage Manual and very generally understand what it is all about. I met a photographer that introduced me to Art Rage. Showed me some of his photos that he used on Art Rage. Beautiful work.

I purchased ArtRage and installed it on my computer.

Other than a reference in the manual about importing a PSD photo, I can find no information on how to use the ArtRage features to adjust the photo.

Anyone out there able to explain how to begin adjusting photos without referring me to another instruction book? Maybe just a few steps to explain how to get started.

Gordon

Welcome to the forum Gordon. I'm not sure what you mean by "adjust the photo". ArtRage is not a photo editing software. You can certainly import a photo and use it as a reference for painting, or import it as a paint layer and paint directly on the photo. You can use blend modes to achieve various interactions between the photo and the paint layer. But Art Rage is a digital painting application with a focus on mimicking traditional painting and drawing medium. It does not make photographic edits or corrections to images. Perhaps if you explained a little more about what you are looking to do, someone would be able to offer a suggestion.

With one exception: Edit > Adjust Layer Contents will allow you to adjust colour, contrast, brightness, etc.

But yes, otherwise it's a painting software. You can definitely get a lot of the same effects with the program, but it's not designed specifically to edit photographs, so it will be a lot harder to figure out the options to get the result you want. If you have a specific effect in mind, we can probably help you achieve it.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Don't forget the blend layer modes, which is very like PS, but it is good for adjusting photos if you know how to use them -- messing with parts and tweaking them as layers and then removing selections into a composite -- ya know, the usual fun and creative stuff. It can be broad effects or subtle, depending on you and what you're after.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Whoops...Thanks Hannah. I forgot about adjusting color, contrast and brightness!

Smile Little confusing

I completely misunderstood about ArtRage.

I have watched some of the videos and understand a little. I might also explain that I don't have any ability to create an image like an artist would do from a blank canvas. If I did I would be an artistic painter rather than a photographer.

So now where do I go? Any suggestions?

I spent the dollars and don't want to not use Art Rage. I have tried to start with a blank canvas but nothing works. My mind does not work that way.

If I upload a photo it's just for the purpose of a guide using the tools of ArtRage to recreate it. Do I understand correctly?

Here's a thought. Can I upload a photo and outlining certain areas change what's inside the guide lines using the various tools available right over top of the photograph? Is this what the Tracing is for?

Gordon
    Last edited by G.L.Sarti; 01-27-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Right Gordon,

Hope this illuminates somewhat. Like most of the tools, it's pretty straight forward once you know how.

I assume this is what you were talking about.

Once you start building up layers on the right (in this case) you can manipulate them however, select areas, adjust contrast or whatnot, use blend modes, work with transparencies, erase back and all that.

If you want to start digging deeper, I suggest asking in the Tips and Tricks forum section. . . and just try stuff out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR-ImportPic1-2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	280.8 KB 
ID:	88883  
    Last edited by D Akey; 01-28-2016 at 04:51 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Ideas for working on photos

I would suggest importing a photo as suggested then working on a new layer and paint in some highlights, shadows, etc. As before mentioned the layers have blending modes that work like they do in Photoshop, and could make some interesting color and lighting effects.

Also, if you worked directly on the photo layer, you could blend and blur things with the various settings in the palette knife, sort of playing with depth of field by blurring things.

Just go in there, have fun and don't be afraid. Art rage gives you unlimited "Undos" so if you don't like it, Undo!

Just found this in the Critique forum. Something you might like to try: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...ted-photograph
    Last edited by elainep; 01-28-2016 at 07:08 AM.