ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Oakshios WIP book - Current Project - BMW 335i - Update 12/15/2015

Oakshios WIP book - Current Project - BMW 335i - Update 12/15/2015

8/13/2015
    I am creating this thread as a holding place/journal for my projects and time spent with Artrage and Art in general. I have not started any works since about 2012. What the hell have I been doing with myself?! I hope this thread will provide me a way to stay focused and a place to look back to when in need of some internal motivation.

My first start to finish project in Artrage, completed in 2012.
    WIP thread: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...rm-Setting-WIP
    Completed: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...orm-is-setting

My newest project is a life-like reproduction of a photo taken, featuring my brother's BMW 335i. I have always wanted to draw vehicles but have never seriously taken the time to learn the concepts and shapes that help create them. For my first attempt I am creating an 18" x 24" 300dpi oil painting of the car. My intention with this piece is to print, frame and gift this to my brother when it is complete.

Since I am not familiar with oil painting traditionally, let alone digitally, I am going to trace this piece. I hope that I am able to familiarize myself with the oil brushes and how they blend. I am also going to focus on using layers more. I have not used layers extensively in the past and would like to get in the habit of using them. I am also interested in experimenting with the different blending options related to layers. I look forward to gaining a better grasp of the different tools and features afforded to me and hope to gain enough insight to provide efficiency and optimal technique in future works.

Since I decided to create this thread after I had already started this project, the first photos are about 8-10 hours into the work.

P.S. Don't hesitate to ask for a closer shot, if there is something particular you would like a closer look at.

BMW 335i
    Original photo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19626855594_f1d3bc1bfe_o.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	87218

WIP photos:

Name:	Bimmer2.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	87219

Name:	Bimmer3.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	87220

Name:  Bimmer4.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  38.7 KB
    These are Avant Garde wheels and a focal point of this car. I spent most of my time, to this point on them. I am happy with how they have turned out so far.

Name:	Bimmer.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	87221
    I went back and forth trying to decide how I was going to handle the asphalt. I basically split it into thirds. One being a small stipple effect. Another being short smaller brush strokes. The last being large impressionistic strokes. After having my wife select her favorite one (stipple), I also felt the need to take the time and create the stipple effect in order to stay with the realistic style I am going for. This was a veeery tedious activity to accomplish. I am happy with how it is looking so far and am glad I chose this route.

I have put roughly 20 hours into this piece up to this point.

8/24/2015
    Still going on this project. Have done some more work with the tire. My day job has been keeping me out of town and I do not have a way to take my devices with me on the road. Will update soon with an image or two.

12/6/2015
    Thanks for the comments! I have continued again on this piece. Completed the tire and have begun on the brakes.

12/7/2015
    More rotor work.

12/10/2015
    Completed the rotor. Wheel assembly has been completed now. On to the body we go. Started the second pass on with the front bumper. I have actually done the close-up section of the bumper 2 1/2 times. I had initially started with horizontal strokes and testing of some blending techniques before changing to vertical strokes and then back to horizontal. I was not happy with the look of both the strokes and the blending I was achieving. The blend was too wet or too dry and I was unable to find a happy middle ground. Will continue to practice different blending techniques as I paint. Most likely with just a light hand and less loading of the brush (how I did the blending on the wheel assembly). Anyway, here are some pics of the progress to date.

12/13/2015
    Still chugging along on this. Pretty boring shading stuff but it's got to be done if it is ever going to get painted. I had started the body work with a brush size much smaller than I think I wanted. I think I can salvage the parts already done and blend the transition from the smaller size to the larger size (not a big difference in size really, considering the overall canvas size).

12/15/2015
    Finally figured out a way to blend that I am liking. I use the oil brush with 1-5% loading with about 90% thinner. I like the brush to grab some of that color. Anyway, continued across the front bumper a bit. Sometimes I wish I had not chosen quite the level of detail I did. I will see this through. ha ha.

Last edited by Oakshios; 12-16-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Amazing, the effect on the tarmac looks so realistic and the headlight and wheel are so photographic. I feel that your quest for realism is working well, can't wait to see the finished Beamer...

Thank you for the comments!