Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Oakshios WIP book - Current Project - BMW 335i - Update 12/15/2015

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Oakshios WIP book - Current Project - BMW 335i - Update 12/15/2015

    I am creating this thread as a holding place/journal for my projects and time spent with Artrage and Art in general. I have not started any works since about 2012. What the hell have I been doing with myself?! I hope this thread will provide me a way to stay focused and a place to look back to when in need of some internal motivation.

    My first start to finish project in Artrage, completed in 2012.
    WIP thread:

    My newest project is a life-like reproduction of a photo taken, featuring my brother's BMW 335i. I have always wanted to draw vehicles but have never seriously taken the time to learn the concepts and shapes that help create them. For my first attempt I am creating an 18" x 24" 300dpi oil painting of the car. My intention with this piece is to print, frame and gift this to my brother when it is complete.

    Since I am not familiar with oil painting traditionally, let alone digitally, I am going to trace this piece. I hope that I am able to familiarize myself with the oil brushes and how they blend. I am also going to focus on using layers more. I have not used layers extensively in the past and would like to get in the habit of using them. I am also interested in experimenting with the different blending options related to layers. I look forward to gaining a better grasp of the different tools and features afforded to me and hope to gain enough insight to provide efficiency and optimal technique in future works.

    Since I decided to create this thread after I had already started this project, the first photos are about 8-10 hours into the work.

    P.S. Don't hesitate to ask for a closer shot, if there is something particular you would like a closer look at.

    BMW 335i
    Original photo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19626855594_f1d3bc1bfe_o.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	87218

    WIP photos:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bimmer2.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	87219

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bimmer3.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	87220

    Name:  Bimmer4.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  38.7 KB
    These are Avant Garde wheels and a focal point of this car. I spent most of my time, to this point on them. I am happy with how they have turned out so far.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bimmer.JPG 
Views:	239 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	87221
    I went back and forth trying to decide how I was going to handle the asphalt. I basically split it into thirds. One being a small stipple effect. Another being short smaller brush strokes. The last being large impressionistic strokes. After having my wife select her favorite one (stipple), I also felt the need to take the time and create the stipple effect in order to stay with the realistic style I am going for. This was a veeery tedious activity to accomplish. I am happy with how it is looking so far and am glad I chose this route.

    I have put roughly 20 hours into this piece up to this point.

    Still going on this project. Have done some more work with the tire. My day job has been keeping me out of town and I do not have a way to take my devices with me on the road. Will update soon with an image or two.

    Thanks for the comments! I have continued again on this piece. Completed the tire and have begun on the brakes.

    More rotor work.

    Completed the rotor. Wheel assembly has been completed now. On to the body we go. Started the second pass on with the front bumper. I have actually done the close-up section of the bumper 2 1/2 times. I had initially started with horizontal strokes and testing of some blending techniques before changing to vertical strokes and then back to horizontal. I was not happy with the look of both the strokes and the blending I was achieving. The blend was too wet or too dry and I was unable to find a happy middle ground. Will continue to practice different blending techniques as I paint. Most likely with just a light hand and less loading of the brush (how I did the blending on the wheel assembly). Anyway, here are some pics of the progress to date.

    Still chugging along on this. Pretty boring shading stuff but it's got to be done if it is ever going to get painted. I had started the body work with a brush size much smaller than I think I wanted. I think I can salvage the parts already done and blend the transition from the smaller size to the larger size (not a big difference in size really, considering the overall canvas size).

    Finally figured out a way to blend that I am liking. I use the oil brush with 1-5% loading with about 90% thinner. I like the brush to grab some of that color. Anyway, continued across the front bumper a bit. Sometimes I wish I had not chosen quite the level of detail I did. I will see this through. ha ha.

    Last edited by Oakshios; 12-16-2015 at 07:28 PM.

  2. #2
    Amazing, the effect on the tarmac looks so realistic and the headlight and wheel are so photographic. I feel that your quest for realism is working well, can't wait to see the finished Beamer...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Thank you for the comments!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts