ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools Spontaneously Switch To Eraser

Tools Spontaneously Switch To Eraser

I'm working on Yosemite 10.10.2

Using Artrage 4.5.4 (though this was an issue with the previous build, too)

When I'm using a tool, say sticker spray -- but not only sticker spray -- I'm finding the tool can spontaneously switch to the eraser. The only way I can get back to what I was doing is by saving, closing Artrage then opening up again.

I'm not accidentally pressing the button I have set up for erasing on my Wacom pen, just to get that out of the way.

The other thing that happens at the same time is the colour resets to a midtone blue. But I'm not sure it does this every time.

I've been using Artrage for over 3 years and this only started being a problem recently.

This could be something of nothing, but I'm using a larger canvas than usual. (4096x2992px) Other than that, I can't think of anything I'm doing differently at this end.

This sounds like a Stylus ID issue; the system is tracking a stylus that was set to an eraser and reporting that that stylus is being used.

Turn off Track Styluses in the Stylus Control Center to see if that fixes it (at the top of the Settings panel for any tool). If it does, you can clear settings, or remove individual styluses to get everything working again.

Name:  stylus control centre.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  46.1 KB

If that doesn't help, get back to us!
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Thank you, I will see if that has fixed it.

Unfortunately that didn't fix it.

Hmmm. Okay, before we try anything else, the super obvious thing is that you might be hitting the 'E' button. That's the shortcut for the eraser.

It wouldn't explain the colour change., but does that sound likely?

And if that isn't it, the more complicated stuff starts here....

1. Clear preferences

There may be something weird in your saved preferences. Try deleting the ArtRage PRS file (saved preferences) The artrage.prs file is where we store settings and it's generally located in the AppData folder. This won't help if there is a bigger problem, but it can clear out bad data.

E.g. C Drive > Users > Your account > AppData (may be a hidden folder) > Roaming > Ambient Design > ArtRage > ArtRage4.prs and ArtRage099.prs (general and stylus preferences).

If that doesn't work, then the next possibility is:

2. Drivers! Your tablet/stylus driver may be outdated or corrupted in some way. Contact us at support@artrage.com and we'll walk you through troubleshooting your Mac drivers.

Thanks for those suggestions. I tried a few things, including an exorcism, in case a spectral finger was reaching over my shoulder and pressing the E on my keyboard while simultaneously clicking my palette to blue. The exorcism may have worked, as it hasn't happened in the last day, but we'll see.

I guess it could have been Tycho then. He does like doing things like that.

You just tell Tycho that I appreciate his taste when it comes to picking blue, but I'll paint a blue thing later.

Back to the drawing board.

Is someone able to tell me how to find those hidden files mentioned above on a Mac?