ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Command Key (MAC) Airbrush strokes look soft

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor

Command Key (MAC) Airbrush strokes look soft

I just noticed that when using the Tendrils preset for the Airbrush when holding down the command key (MAC) and creating a restricted straight stroke - the stroke is soft when compared to stroking without the Cmd-Key.

Can this be fixed so that the strokes have the same density with either method? I like the idea of switching quickly between freehand and Cmd-Key (straight) strokes and getting the same density.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-31 at 12.15.07 AM.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	85332

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

We're not seeing that result here, and it's not intended. Could you drop us an email with the details of what you're doing, what input device you're using and what versions of ArtRage and OS you have, to support@artrage.com so we can try looking into it?
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

I've never used this brush before but I was curious to try this out as I'm on a Mac too (OS X 10.6.8, iMac i7, Artrage 4.5.3 64 bit).

Whilst it's not as pronounced as Victor's image, there is definitely a difference in how the stroke is rendered.

I tried 3 strokes. From left to right, the first was the a downward mouse-made stroke, the middle was a CMD-drag stroke, and the last is a Wacom tablet based stroke (reasonably firm pressure).

I hope this helps in some way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm pretty sure the difference you're seeing is from the Air Brush defaulting to the pressure level you have selected. Since the program doesn't track pressure changes while using the Ctrl drag line, it opts to use the pressure level selected in the Settings panel. Another thing to consider is that the preset has Auto-Flow turned on. Because a stroke created with the Ctrl drag line won't pause in any specific region, there will be no chance for the line to get darker in any particular area while it's being created. This isn't the case when drawing the line freehand, so the beginning of the line may appear to have a darker start or the end may sometime appear thinner and so on...

So... If you were to turn off the Auto-Flow and remove the pressure tracking (using the Stylus Properties panel), all of your strokes should match the lighter Ctrl-drag appearance. Then, increasing the tools Pressure settings on the Settings panel, you'd get a darker appearance. Using the Mouse with the auto-flow off and the pressure tracking back on, should give you same results, as well, because the mouse has no way of sending pressure information to the program, either. This was case during my testing of it, anyhow. Below I've included my test lines with using my stylus, with both the auto-flow and pressure tracking turned off (since using the mouse resulted in the same strokes, didn't include them).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airbrushstuff.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	85388
    Last edited by Someonesane; 02-05-2015 at 08:29 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Here is an excerpt from tech support:

". . . The default pressure with that preset is 50%, but when you are using the stylus to draw, it allows you to increase the pressure above that. Basically, freehand allows you to vary the pressure, so you may be drawing stronger lines. Cm+ stroke uses the default 50% pressure. Can you try changing the pressure to 100%, or easing off on your stylus strokes and see if that does the trick?"

So, I replied:
    "Yes, that appears to be the result of the 50% rule. So, I would like to add a request for an upcoming release to add pressure sensitive stylus interaction when utilizing the "straight line" function. Thanks, Victor Osaka"

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)