ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Cintiq 13HD - Artrage 4.5.2 - Performance Problems - OSX

Cintiq 13HD - Artrage 4.5.2 - Performance Problems - OSX

Hello good day

I have problems with the Performance of Artrage with a new Wacom 13HD Cintiq
    I am running German language ArtRage 4.5.2 under MacOSX 10.9.4 on a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 MacBook Pro

So far Iīve been using an Wacom Intuos and was super pleased with this set up. Now I have the Cinitq and the whole thing has become a bit of a chore to be honest. I managed to make sure that the Cintiq is addressed as the secondary monitor properly and that ArtRage is set up as an App in the Wacom part of the OSX preferences, And that that the main ArtRage Menu Bar is moved to the Cintiq before applying full screen again, but certain context menus and pallets keep popping up on the main Laptop Screen. Anytime I toggle a context menu it shows on the main monitor instead of the Cintiq. So do Reference images and "Einstellungen" (Tool Preferences?)

The biggest Problem however is that I am used to a very fast pace when sketching in ArtRage but now the Pen, chalk and brush have an slowed down big time. Sometimes they lag up to a second and longer after the stylus. Sometimes the stylus movements are only translated very roughly. All the precision and speed I enjoyed and NEED for my work is pretty much gone. The Eraser is especially slow.

I have closed all programs that are non essential when working in ArtRage now, even though I never needed to do that while running the Intuos. I have no problems with performance in any of my other applications.

I am hoping someone from the official ArtRage Team can help here. Otherwise I will have to go back to the Intuos or ditch ArtRage. Which Iīd really like to avoid. Looking forward to your replies.

Cheers and smiles from London

Wolf

Regarding the panels appearing in the wrong place: Panels triggered by pods, such as tool settings and presets, should remember where they last appeared. If you have previously run ArtRage on one monitor and opened them, they will appear on that monitor when you next open them. However - If you drag them to the second monitor and close them, they should appear there next time you open them. Is that not happening? Note that if you take your second monitor off the machine they will revert to opening on the first, and next time you plug your second monitor in they will still open on the first (as they remember opening there).

Regarding speed - That's really unusual, and I need a bit more info to try and understand what is happening:

- Does the speed issue only occur if ArtRage is on the Cintiq or does it happen if it's on the first screen as well?
    - Does it occur only when you paint with the stylus or does it happen when using the trackpad as well?
    - Is the Cintiq running at its native resolution or has the screen size been adjusted?

That should help me get started on looking in to what's going on.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hello Matt

Thank you for your answer. For your questions to my problems:

If you drag them to the second monitor and close them, they should appear there next time you open them. Is that not happening?

That is not happening. Neither right after I dragged and closed them. Nor after I dragged everything onto the Cintiq and then quit ArtRage and opened it again. It does come up in the the Cintig, but most context menus and pod-nested menus will continue to appear on the main LapTop Screen. Itīs really annoying.

As I have to work on the go a lot I have a highly mobile set up. Thatīs why I got the Cintiq13HD, because its small enough to carry around. Therefore I am constantly unplugging the "Monitor" - to carry it to my next destination. Is there no way to create a specified setting for this? Like in other Programs where I can specify a WorkSpace Set Up and toggle that every time I need it?

- Does the speed issue only occur if ArtRage is on the Cintiq or does it happen if it's on the first screen as well?
    Speed Issue occur anytime the Cintiq is plugged in, regardless if I use ArtRage on the Cinitq or have it on the LapTop monitor and using the Cintiq only as graphics tablet. But it canīt work as a GraphicsTablet with the screen turned off. So it always running.

- Does it occur only when you paint with the stylus or does it happen when using the trackpad as well?
    I do not understand the distinction. I need the stylus to draw. Thatīs when I need the precision. Thatīs when I noticed this. The trackpad is in the Laptop and is not used to draw. If I use any other of my Wacom Graphictablets I have no problems with the performance of ArtRage whatsoever.

- Is the Cintiq running at its native resolution or has the screen size been adjusted?
    The Cintiq is running in its native resolution as is the Retina Display of the MacbookPro.

I do appreciate your help. ArtRage has been my main sketching app for the last five years at least. But I enjoy the Cintiq very much in my main execution applications. So Iīd like to keep it very much. Iīd hate having to switch away from ArtRage and get accustomed to something else.
    Last edited by whitebbwolf; 01-13-2015 at 03:01 AM.

For the panels: Could you explain what you mean by 'context menus'? Are these popup menus triggered by right clicks or some other menu?

Panels should definitely be appearing on the monitor you left them on if you close then immediately reopen them - Could you let me know what side of the main monitor your Cintiq is set up to be on (in settings, is the Cintiq screen to the right or left of the main screen?).

Regarding the trackpad note - I need to know if the problem occurs due to stylus input or not. I am aware that you do not paint with your trackpad but I need to know if painting with the trackpad has the same problem so that I can troubleshoot. Could you give it a go and see if it makes a difference?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I tried to move the palletts with the trackpad and it seems that it is now remembered where the palettes have been and where they should appear.

I will have to monitor if that will be a good, continues fix for this.

I also used the trackpad for trying to draw something, it felt quicker and more accurate. But the pressure sensitivity is lacking so sometimes it still shows the lag or inaccuracy when drawing with the Stylus.

The Cintiq is set to the right.

But the problem with the palettes comes and goes. Changing the workflow between programms seems to trigger the problem when coming back to ArtRage.

AND the pressure sensitivity is way off. I can set it to the hardest setting in the system prefs, but in ArtRage it is SUPER sensitive. Makes it hard to control.

It sounds like you've got a driver configuration problem. Please try the following:

1. Uninstall the drivers for the Cintiq - If you are prompted, opt to remove any profiles for applications (these can be corrupted).

2. Reboot your computer (it is really important to do this as driver uninstall can leave old files resident until reboot that can damage new installs).

3. Download the latest drivers for the Cintiq from Wacom.

4. Install those drivers.

This should make sure that any bad driver files are replaced with the latest and may help. If you are still seeing pressure problems, make sure that your tools in ArtRage are set to 50% pressure (the default value, which means no adjustment will be applied to the incoming pressure data) and check your Cintiq settings to make sure that the pressure setting there is right for you.

Could you also explain what you mean by 'Changing the workflow between programms seems to trigger the problem'? What workflow change is being done?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hello again Matt

ArtRage is beginning to get true to its name. I am close to rage myself by now.

Change in Workflow refers to me switching programms. Like, I get a call, and need to take it on Skype, or, make a little change in an Illustrator file to an element that I copy back into ArtRage for instance.

I did as you asked. Removed all, the wacom/Cintiq driver and left overs from it in Application support. I restarted the Mac. Even did a PRAM reset a couple of times before installing the latest Cintiq Driver from WACOM.
    I have a better precission now when working fast and when I set the pressure REALLY low in System Prefs AND ArtRage I get settings I can work with. Still not as great as with the Intuos to be honest though.

Alas, now the palettes and context menus ALL keep appearing on the main screen and NEVER on the Cinitiq. No matter in which order I drag them, with Stylus or trackpad, Full screen on the Cintiq or not, before
    and after closing and restarting the programm. Its driving me NUTS. Like really. Something that was super smooth and the start of most of my Illustration work is now something I dread. Itīs super frustrating
    and Iīd really need a fix for this. Or I need to make a decission of either switching back to my Intuos, or to another sketching programm. Not happy, as you can hopefully understand .

Because we haven't seen this behaviour we're going to need to do some research and we can work on troubleshooting this. Could you send an email to support@artrage.com and let us know in there the following:

1. How is your Cintiq screen set up: Is it a second Monitor and if so how is positioned relative to your laptop monitor, or is it an extension of the same desktop.

2. What do you mean by Context Menus: Specifically do you mean that when you open the File Menu and other menus from the top menu bar the contents of the menu appear on the wrong screen? Do you mean that the menu bar contents only appear on your laptop screen? Are you referring to right click menus on the canvas for example?

It sounds as if there's a mapping problem with the device but we'll need to know those items so that we can try and find out what's happening for you.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    If you guys want me to try anything to compare I certainly will try. I have a Cintiq 13HD, three monitor setup with 2 graphic cards on a MACPRO.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)