ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: deselecting all, without a keyboard

deselecting all, without a keyboard

I'm just starting out.

My computer is a Thinkpad X61 tablet, which I prefer to hold in my lap, with the screen folded over the keyboard. This version of the tablet has a Wacom digitizer for use with a pen, but does not have touch input. The pen provides the equivalent of a left-click, and, by a button on the side of the pen, a right click.

The keyboard shortcuts are not available with this manner of use. Of course, I could set it up on a desk and attach a usb keyboard, but I prefer the illusion that this is a sketching tablet.

In this early exploration, I've encountered one action which seems a bit clumsy: deselecting. Without a keyboard, this requires navigating to the Edit menu, and choosing "deselect all."

I have not discovered a convenient pen-based method to deselect all. Am I missing something?

Hello and welcome to the AR forums
    Being new here you may not be aware of a Windows only "Pen-Only Toolbar" AR add-on from user Steve B. It might give you what you're looking for.
    I'm on a Mac and don't have a tablet so can't say what it's like to use but you can find it here: http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...905#post427905
    Last edited by markw; 12-24-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Quote Originally Posted by notaverygoodartist View Post
    Am I missing something?
    I suppose it depends on how you have your panels set up, but there's also the Clear Selection option on the Settings Panel. Clicking it will clear any active selections.

Name:  clearselection.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  72.4 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello and welcome to the AR forums
    Being new here you may not be aware of a Windows only "Pen-Only Toolbar" AR add-on from user Steve B. It might give you what you're looking for.
    I'm on a Mac and don't have a tablet so can't say what it's like to use but you can find it here: [url]
    I tried it, and it looks like a really good idea. Unfortunately, Windows 7 has been revved and patched so much, it no longer seems to work. Or, it could be due to incompatibility with the Lenovo tablet utilities.
    After I ran the installer, the Pen-Only-Toolbar appeared, and worked, albeit with a key mismapping. The select/deselect button worked to deselect, but the select toggle was mapped to "save painting."

But after I closed the toolbar, all subsequent attempts to restart it failed. The "H" appeared in the Windows taskbar "hidden icons" section, but, instead of making the AutoHotkey toolbar visible, it brought up an associated Notepad file. I rebooted the machine and ran AutoHotkey from the start menu. But the toolbar did not appear, although the "H" did show up again in the Windows taskbar "hidden icons" section.

I thank Steve B. for his fine work, but perhaps he should attempt adapting it to a more recent version of AutoHotKey, since the above problems don't seem to have a workaround.

Note to Artrage gui designers: Deselecting is easy to do with a mouse, because clicking the mouse while stationary accomplishes this. But with a pen, slight movement of the pen tip causes a tiny, sometimes invisible area of the painting to be selected. A simple fix for this particular need would be to put a little spot on the screen where one could tap the pen to accomplish a deselect. Such a spot would probably have other uses as well.
    Last edited by notaverygoodartist; 12-24-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I suppose it depends on how you have your panels set up, but there's also the Clear Selection option on the Settings Panel. Clicking it will clear any active selections.

Name:  clearselection.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  72.4 KB
    Thanks. That's what I'll use for the time being.