ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Exporting from Artrage 3 as a PNG colors are dull

Exporting from Artrage 3 as a PNG colors are dull

Hi,

I would like to export my pictures as a PNG, but when I do so, the colors always become dulled (grayer/less vibrant). Any advice as to what might be causing this?

I am using Artrage 3.5.4 Studio & using Windows 7.
    Last edited by LeoMDK; 12-08-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble!

What program are you viewing the PNG in? Does the appearance change if you try different programs? (e.g. import it back into ArtRage)
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

HannahRage,

Thanks for the response -- the colors change even if I simply export to PNG and then import that PNG directly back into ArtRage. I am using the "cell" canvas, as I am making animated sprites for a video game. I am certain that the colors change because I saved my palette of colors, and if I use the pen tool on an area with the "same" color, the newly drawn area appears more vibrant than the imported color on the canvas. This color difference does not happen if I reload the ArtRage file, but only when I import the PNG.

I've attached two different copies of a quick doodle using two of the colors in my saved palette. The one called "Vase.PNG" is the exported PNG. The one called "vase with spots" is an exported PNG that was re-imported & edited in ArtRage with the same colors in two small areas, showing the difference in color. FWIW, this color change also happens when I export the picture as other formats, such as a .psd file as well. It also doesn't matter whether I merge layers before the export or not.

If I import the PNG into another program, such as Paint.NET, the color change problem still occurs. If I analyze the color difference between the brighter, edited spots and the darker places, it seems to be a difference of about 3-4 in each of the values: R,G,B and V.

EDIT: also, canvas lighting on/off makes no difference in this problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by LeoMDK; 12-09-2014 at 05:47 AM.

Ah, I see. I'm able to replicate that, and it is actually the canvas lighting effect (if the canvas lighting is on when you export the image, the exported image will be darker). If you turn off canvas lighting, export, and then import again to compare, you shouldn't see any difference.

I'll pass it on in case it's not supposed to be acting this way.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Ah, I see. I'm able to replicate that, and it is actually the canvas lighting effect (if the canvas lighting is on when you export the image, the exported image will be darker). If you turn off canvas lighting, export, and then import again to compare, you shouldn't see any difference.
    See, I thought I had tried that -- and I did. That alone didn't solve the problem, but it lead me to what does solve the problem: even if you export with canvas lighting turned off first, you still have to turn it off *again* when you import the PNG or otherwise you will see a difference when you go to paint on it. That definitely seems like a bug ... I'm not sure why canvas lighting would make the imported color and the fresh painted color any different from each other, but it does.

Is there a way to default the canvas lighting off? I don't think I have any use for it, personally.

It's not a bug - Canvas lighting creates the illusion of depth on the canvas and as part of that there is a slight gradation cast over it. Whenever a painting is created or opened (which is what happens when you import a PNG) canvas lighting is turned on to make sure that you don't lose that depth. If you ever use tools like the oil paint that have volume then canvas lighting makes a big difference to their appearance. There isn't a way to default if off at this time.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Ah, I see ... that does makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up Matt. Thank-you to Hannah as well, for the help.