ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: turn Multitouch off doesn't work

turn Multitouch off doesn't work

Hello, I am using Artrage 4.5 on an Asus Vivotab Note 8.

In the Artrage Starter Edition I can only paint with Stylus, but use finger input for controls. That's how I want to use the software.

In Artrage 4.5 my fingers and my palm will ALWAYS paint on the Canvas, regardless which settings I use. I tried 'use Wintab' on/off and 'use Multitouch' on/off in all combinations... no success.

What am I missing here? Both programs runs side by side - the Starter version the way I want, the full version not.

Please help me to disable finger and palm input on the Artrage canvas of the full version.

Kind regards,
    Th.

There isn't a way to disable touch input currently. The multitouch toggle turns off the ability to do multitouch gestures (two finger zoom, rotate, pan) only. Standard touch input is treated as mouse input and that can't be turned off at this time.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!

Now this leaves me with two more questions:
    - why is it working in the starter edition? I mean, this is the version you download and try... and a purchase is at least partially based on that test. So I could understand if you improve the program in a newer version, like adding better inking and drawing engines, more pencils, special features. But loosing such a basic input option some users might prefer does not sound logical to me. Can you shed some light on this - is there any reason why it isn't there anymore?
    - are there plans to bring back this option in a future subversion, fixpack or whatever you want to call a minor update?

With kind regards,
    Th.

That's very odd - There has never been any code in any version of ArtRage to do palm/touch rejection. The one difference between the ArtRage 2 Starter Edition and ArtRage 3 and later that may be relevant here is support for Realtime Stylus (the Microsoft standard for stylus input). ArtRage 2 supported the older Ink Services standard and if for some reason the device driver is providing touch data via the more modern RTS standard only then AR2 may not detect that input. However, that's highly unusual and completely non-standard, touch events should provide mouse data for cases where apps don't support RTS so the driver may be at fault there.

Turning off Use Realtime Stylus in AR4 may prevent touch input if the driver is behaving in this manner but unfortunately it would also prevent stylus input. Like I say, it's really weird for a driver to provide touch data through RTS only rather than simulate mouse input, so any kind of perceived touch rejection you're getting is a result of that odd behaviour and not any code written in to the product.

We may look at touch rejection in a future implementation, but I don't know at this point.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I really like, that you looked into such a 'minor' problem from the technical point of view and gave such a detailed answer. Thank you.

Aside from the UI changes the thing I was looking for in the first place were layers, when I bought the AR4 license. I don't know, how the licensing system works in AR... could I use that license for a full AR2 version?

Just curious here 😉

Other than than I guess I have to try and adjust to the finger and palm painting stuff.

As for drivers... I just use Windows 8.1 that came with my Asus Vivotab Note 8. The Wacom feel drivers are still buggy in portrait mode, so I don't use those. So the isn't a special driver here, just Windows and Artrage.

With kind regards,
    Th.

The drivers will be the ones installed by the hardware vendor - If the device uses a Wacom digitiser then they are likely an edited variant of Wacom's basic tablet drivers modified by the hardware vendor. If you're seeing problems with the Wacom feel drivers that may relate to the general issue you're seeing here. It's a really odd one!

If you drop me an email (matt@ambientdesign.com) I'll see what I can do about a 2.5 installation - We may still have one lying around.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Well, as long as I got the few programs I need / want to use with the tablet and the stylus, that run out of the box, I am happy. For painting I tested quite a few programs and choosed AR in the end.

You can search the internet for 'wacom feel drivers problems' and you'll find posts and videos showing what's wrong at the moment.

Also the drivers from Wacom's US support site and the EU site are different. While the EU ones are completely broken, the US version works in landscape mode but fails in portrait mode.

And I sent you a mail 😉

With kind regards,
    Th.