ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The demure odalisk

The demure odalisk

A quick study sketch for a possible acrylic painting to check on colors.
    It looks like that the odalisks and harem scenes, wonderfully painted in the XIX century by so many masters, would be much more chast looking in these days under the pressure of integralist organisations and group imposing radical rules to majorities and anyone else I'm afraid .... This girl would be considered cheeky by them, as if showing the face, or even the hair (which is not the case here), wpuld give a woman (anyo woman) such an incredible sex appeal to raise a particularly uncontrollable attraction on men ..., but it'sn clearly an issue where reasoning is out of question and doesn't apply I'm afraid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Odalisca casta.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	353.3 KB 
ID:	82292  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Beautifully painted Dear Caesar, she looks fierce to me, that dress is so tight... a Jessica Rabbit from Arabia?
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/andreamgart

That's what art's about, isn't it -- at some point it's about the relationship between the art and the viewer, sort of like speed dating. (D Akey)

All the right curves in all the right places.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Nothing more than a quick sketch to check the figure and the colors, dear Andrea. She's quite curvaceous and teasing, as You say, and this is not affected by hiding the hair (unless she would be seen repellant because of sweating and greasy hair under such a coating in summertime.

Thank You dear Gms9810! I think that girls would try to look charming and please the beloved one anywhere, under any condition and with any acceptable means, whatever the social constraints.

A lovely painting! And don't get me started on the issues you raised :-\

Hello Caesar....I like the quick study sketch....I can see her coming through a doorway slightly highlighted by the brightness of the outdoors...maybe there's a garden out there?
    Can also see a detailed entry way and the walls of the house...she could be an actress of the fifties/sixties relaxing in between her movie career. Anyway, I think you've got a great start to this piece and would like to see a completed painting.
    Take care friend,
    Steve

Like what you have done with the colors and textures,great image mate !

Thank you, dear Hildee! Right, useless to discuss the topic anyway I'm afraid ...

Thank you, dear Sandra! Actually I just outlined her and painted the essential touches to give the idea od the pose and volume ...

Dear Steve, I hope she's not representative of how the uri in the islamic paradise are usually dressed. I rather prefer Italian fashion and style ...LOL
    i guess the actual painting may be in real acrylic and the style may go towards either a more definite liberty or a Matissian one. The scenario would be more decorated anyway ... Thank you!

The focus was on colors and silhouettes here, dera Scott. Glad You like them. Thank You!

Well, covering the hair only can go so far to disguise a woman's sexiness, especially when her garment is tight like an evening gown. You picked a tough sell though. Looks more than a little glamorous.

I doubt the conservatives would approve of your shapely vixen, but the principle of lowering the sexiness level happened by the censors in the USA in the late 1920s and 30s. So the censors made restrictive regulations that the studios got around famously by coming up with garments that followed the letter of the law but bent it to the joy of the audiences who liked that kind of thing. One example when they talked about showing less of the woman's front by removing plunging neck lines on the gowns, the costume designers opened and dropped the back nearly to the crack in the lady's bottom. And you have to admit, it worked just fine.

Actually, this look might fly and be embraced in a place like Dubai.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream