ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Having trouble with my layers!

Unhappy Having trouble with my layers!

I am having problems with my layers in Artrage Studio. They are all effecting each other even though I have set certain ones below other ones and I
    have set the 'Bump Blend Mode' to 'Replace'. I am at a loss at this point, trying to learn this program.

Could you post an example of the problem?

If you set a specific layers Bump Blend Mode to replace, only that layer will replace the paint level of what's beneath it. If you make a new layer, and expect it to replace the paint height beneath it, you'll need to that layers Bump Blend Mode to replace, as well.

Alternatively, you could forgo all of it and turn the 3D lighting off all together, using the option for it on the Canvas Settings Panel. This would result in a completely flat appearance to the paint, in terms of it's thickness. Then, if you wanted some 3D paint texture at the end, you could export the image as a PNG, import that into ArtRage as a new painting and add in the texture by painting on a new layer beneath the imported image.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Well, the thing is I am not "painting" necessarily in these layers. And it's not the texture necessarily that is showing up because what I'm doing does not have a texture really.
    It's the layer's color and what I'm doing on that layer that shows up and marks the other layer that it's not intended to.
    In the screenshot the red arrows are pointing to instances where a mark or color has gone over and onto layers which are above others.
    For instance;
    I was working on the moon and marks showed up on the clock tower even though the clock tower's layer is placed above the moon's layer.
    The other black scribble that is below the clock tower in the image shows up onto the ground and the boy even though those other layers are above the clock tower/town layer.
    The black scribble that is in the clouds next to the moon goes onto another moon-type layer even though the moon layers are above the clouds' layers.

I have done selected 'Replace' for the ones that I thought would be appropriate but I don't think 'Bump Blend Mode' really matters since there isn't really a texture problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blah.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	79153

Painting on layers is like working over panes of glass. You might have drawn the ground on the bottom layer, the buildings on the middle layer and the sky on the top layer, but anything you paint on the ground layer is going to show through to the sky layer, unless the paint you've applied to the sky (or building) layer is completely opaque (non-transparent). So the only way to keep the colors from showing through, is by applying some sort of a mask (like a stencil, selection outline, or painting off the area on a separate layer).

Here's a video I made that covers some these methods: LINK. I use an imported image in it, but just focus on the part about the masking and should be of some help.

Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you so much! That is a great, helpful tip! Thank you for your time.