ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Fragonard

Fragonard

Mr. DAkey mentioned this artist to me, so hope he likes it, one layer in oil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fragonard.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	313.5 KB 
ID:	78779  

Wow Pat. You made the colors your own, gave it your own flair. And it also, because of the hard edge jumps in areas of distinct color feels all the more like a needlepoint. I love it. I think you really brought this lady to life, in an almost expressionistic color scheme, especially with the colors in the head.

Doesn't it feel romantic to you as you paint it? A little bit as if someone walked in on yourself reading a period romance novel -- seeing who you are as you live through the story of the heroine.
    It's something of a projection into the character as you absorb the words from the novel.

I love it. Thank you for diving in with such a wonderful interpretation. I think you belong in this scene. You're painting in character as an actor might say.

Also glad you went and looked at those painters. I have to say that if you had seen an original Fragonard, you would be blown away by his skill. Not all his work strikes me the same, and I don't know if this inconsistency is owing to trends in art, suiting the whims of the patrons, where someone wanted sweeter colors and something to hang on a certain wall to go with a theme etc (can you say 'interior decorators of the 1700s'?, heh, not unlike today.) Or if it was because he found new stuff to try out on his artistic journey. But there is a series, one of which came here decades ago from the Hermitage Museum in Russia in a traveling show which was a sort of sample of many styles.

But Fragonard's painting 'The Stolen Kiss' was from a series of paintings about little romantic trysts under (parents?) noses, an apparently very popular theme in the time of arranged marriages and idle wealth.

Beyond the theme it was a tour de force of getting accurate representations of textures. It must have been about 9"x12" (?) or so, rather small that one would look at about at eye level like a whispered innuendo or scandal. And since it was the realm of the well-to-do, they really liked showing off sensual textures, especially concerning silk and satin and furs and lace and other exotic fabrics. It was very skillful. Almost had a Flemish attention to detail.

Anyway, this is a lovely interpretation you managed and it holds what I would see as having all the essence of the lady you depicted. Brava!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Just lovely Pat!!

Your interpretation of Fragonard noth recalls the original painting and has a color harmony although it is evidently an outcome of Your personality and style. This is a succesful way to use masters to "boost" our outcomes I think.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

What a nice interpretation

A lovely effect. Nice rendering of the dress.

Very lovely painting Pat I really like how you made the effect of soft tissue on armchair and on the dress
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

Thankyou, DAkey and thanks for all the info, very interesting, so glad you like it
    copespeak, thanks for checking it out
    thanks Caesar, appreciate your input, and I always love to check out the artist that you and DAkey mention as they are interesting and wonderful artist
    Marilyn Anne and Silvy, always appreciate your kind comments, thankyou

One of my favourite artists Pat, I went to Paris to see his painting The Swing but boo hoo it wasnt there. Great painting and one of your best
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Fragonard, all i love.

Best,

Weeks

Thankyou Katie, have to go away for a week but I am interested in checking out The Swing when I come back, so glad you like this one
    Weeks, thanks for checking it out appreciate it