ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas & Seasonal Greetings

Christmas & Seasonal Greetings

Name:  collage.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  117.7 KB

For many years I have made my own Christmas cards to send to family and friends and customers. I have made them both by hand and digital. This is last year card made on paper using graphite and oil pastels on paper. Afterwork and editing is done in the computer. The postal service in Sweden has an online service where yo pay about 2 USD for printing (A5 size) and delivering to all adresses within Scandinavia. Abroad it costs a little more, about 25%, for all over the globe. It is all done with high quality, both print and delivery. I love this service.

Here is last years motif; a Little Crow Cold and Alone in the freezing Cold Winter.

Name:  kråkan.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  91.1 KB

I am currently working on this years card. Soon to be finished.

Hahaha. Very amusing greeting, and original as well. Put some skates on him and you have a little Heironymous Bosch too.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I love this character of your too! I find these birds really interesting and quite intelligent and pragmatic. I like them. Comin back to your funny card, this cartoon bird could well be a more cynical version of Snoopy's character in my opinion. GOD JUL to You too! (Hopefully it's seasonal greetings and not a bad word LOL)
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

new...

Name:  2 bilder huset.png
Views: 282
Size:  205.1 KB

Well, D Akey, "Put some skates on him and you have a little Heironymous Bosch too." Why not...

Caesar: "GOD JUL to You too! (Hopefully it's seasonal greetings and not a bad word LOL)" God means Good. Jul is the Scandinavian celebration English speaking call Christmas. Noël, Natale...are other names. But, since Jul was celebrated long before Scandinavia was christened (about 1000 years ago (that was when the first king was christened, not the whole people, it took some hundred years)) the Jul was originaly a tradition from another religion: The Asa religion. Wodan (Oden) and Thor were the most well known gods in this old Scandinavian religion. The christianity took all the holy Days from the Asa religion and made them christian holidays. "God Jul" therefore is something heathen as well as our original version of the Santa. Santa is the christian Saint Nicholas. Our was more like a small protector of the houses, animals and people on the farm. He lived under the house and you had to give him gifts to keep him friendly. But all since Coca Cola designed the big fat fellow we think of to day the old one is forgotten.

"The Santa Claus we all know and love — that big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard — didn’t always look that way. In fact, many people are surprised to learn that prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf.
    He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. In fact, when Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today."

Ironicly, Haddon Sundblom, who was the artist that designed the original Coca Cola santa, was from a Swedish family. So to say, a swede killed the original...

And Kenmo: this is what I am up to right now. Designing my Seasonal Greeting on a rough recycled sheet of paper. I am just in the beginning of the process. I will be back...

Thanks for commenting...
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 12-03-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Edited and ready for some colour...

Name:  jul2013.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  40.8 KB

This was scanned and edited before the final touch of using colours... tomorrow...

Thank You for Your explanations, dear Henry, and another great drawing lis about to come from You.
    I was a fan of Northern mythology too (I read about any mythology as a child, from 5 on), well before Asgard (there's an a missing somewhere) appeared on Marvel comics.
    Many legends exist on St. Nicholas, whose body was taken in Bari and buried there (in a church shared by catholics and orthodoxes) from Eastern Europe, to escape muslim invasions. His career as santa Klaus, a friend of children, probably started because he got by God the resurrection of two children taken to him. In our Northern regions, including where they speak a German dialect, Santa Klaus is also associated to the protection from the devils (the Krampus), who bother and assault kids and people (they are masked people looking like horrible goats and are really similar to the ogres of the Lord of the Rings; have a look).
    https://www.google.it/search?q=diavo...ampus&tbm=isch
    Here too pagan feasts then, either greek-roman, celt or else, were turned into Christian ones and this cultural syncrethism too probably contributed to make us all to become "Europeans", although we're making again efforts to break our common civilization core with new forms of egoisms and nationalisms.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Love this way of sending such personal cards, wonderful idea

It should not been here...

Name:  Huset fg 01.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  78.8 KB

I realize that this thread should have been in the WIP posting area. But as I placed it here I have to continue... Here is the first part of colouring. The house is almost ready. Next to go is the background and then the foreground. Tmrrw maybe.

And yes Pat: this is not only fun. My friends and kinfolks love to get these cards. If they don't get one they ask "What happened?" So I now they appreciate it.
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 12-05-2013 at 09:59 PM.

It is beginning to snow

Name:  Huset fg 02.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  54.3 KB

The background is ready. Next step is the foreground, the snow, well it has begun in the bkg already. And some lighting effects...