ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Something is happening

Something is happening

I must be retaining something from all the tutorials I've watched.
    Every night while I draw/scribble/doodle I listen to tutorials on youtube and other sites. Apparently I'm getting something out of them, I sound like an artist. I was talking with a 12 year old girl I know who likes art. She said she likes to paint but not draw. Without thinking about it I found myself explaining that she really needs to learn to sketch in additionally and I explained to her why. Next we were talking about shading, perspective, graphite versus charcoal, and watercolor pencils. She had a lot higher opinion of my skill than I do but it was an interesting feeling.

On a side note, most of the 'experts' I watched insist that to be really good one has to draw all the time wherever one goes. Another guy said to take a sketchbook wherever we go and sketch everything interesting and incorporate the ideas into larger drawings. I decided that I advanced enough to justify buying a good quality small Strathmore pad to do my day to day drawing. I have a 9" x 12" 90 lb book my wife got me fr my birthday but I made up my mind not to use it until I'm good enough. In the art/drawing section they had pencil cases that can be clipped to one's belt so I got that to. I'm looking forward to drawing the world. I owe a lot to AR and the team that makes it because it's what got me started and allows me to try new ideas. I can make mistakes and not waste resources.
    Name:  stuff.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  165.7 KB

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

That's great! Isn't it a great feeling when you begin to master a new skill? Nice talk with the young woman too. Very cool!

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Careful. . . you might start finding the world a different place altogether. Go man go!

Oh, you might want to try out some of those great art supplies. I bought some really expensive water color paper (gawd. . . about early 70s) that I set aside for a rainy day. . . and it NEVER rains in southern California. I dragged it around all over the country with me because I couldn't part with it because it was so valuable, and I could never get my money back on it, and I always held on to the notion that I would get back to watercolor. It's still sitting on a shelf with dust from several states on it.

I didn't use it because I didn't think I could do it justice way back when. Well, times and techniques changed out from under me and now I have no interest in using it. Heck, I might have become a water colorist had I not been so stingy and painted on it. Careful you don't, like me, wind up in the state of Catatonia. Penny wise and pound foolish says I. Art supplies are meant to be used up. Once you discover, ultimately, how much paint dries out unused and sable brushes get ruined by moths and so on. . . I would rather you screw it up, but use it up. The desire to rise to the occasion is part of what nice blank canvases and paper are for. . . begging you to mark 'em up.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I just bought 12 sheets of 300gsm watercolour paper from Aldi today. Ridiculously cheap, which it probably will behave as such! It doesn't look like the good stuff, but I'm out there tomorrow messing around to see how it handles.

Hi. Congrats. A wise Choice. A must. For sketching everything and to improve your drawings take a sketch pad with you all time I try to get the cheapest pads I can buy hopefully with 50 pages I try to get
    Pads with a wire spine makes it easy for turning the pages as when doing bus sketching you don't waste time a sketch takes from 5 to 15 seconds that's if they don't get off or chatting or laughing but like you ??
    I found out by accident I could draw when I was nearly 60 then didn't touch it till twenty years later when
    On a sudden urge got a old computer at a car- boot it was an apple which looked like a television it didn't last long but only used for mail so went to the big shop in the sky where come across a bambo sketch pad
    Which lucky for me had artrage with it joined in 2010 by then got another old computer ok and the world was my oyster. If you look in my gallery you'll see my 1 st sketch'es of the wife and I which will
    Make you wonder why I thought I could draw : anyway9810. Bash on with the Motly

............ SLAINTE

I bought some willow charcoal sticks, which I'm having fun using. It set me thinking about trying different types of wood and make my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    I bought some willow charcoal sticks, which I'm having fun using. It set me thinking about trying different types of wood and make my own.
    Yeah, from my personal experience, when you get to ink drawing, a lot of creative lines can be made from twigs, though you would have to like a looser more calligraphic kind of drawing when you get into character of line as opposed to a tight representation of the subject. But it's all great fun.

Never thought of making one's own charcoal sticks. Could be cool if you can figure how to make the carbon deep enough to maintain a longer mark. I'm sure there's a way to do it and you sound quite handy so you will probably make it work great. Let us know how it goes for ya.

Youtube has a lot of tutorials on how to make arts and crafts supplies. I was the other month looking at some on how to make your own paper clay. Turns out that process was good if you were going to use it a lot. But it's really fun exploring seeing what people do to make art and supplies.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

"and you sound quite handy" If you can hear me one of us needs help. I plan to experiment with different woods and different additives, the results should be interesting.

Nice to hear that!

It's nice to hear that you are progressing with your art. The internet is a great source for education for the rest of us, who may not be able to afford or get out to regular classes. There is so much knowledge on Youtube!
    Do stick with your art, and keep us up to date on your progress.

Elaine