ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Advice needed what do you think ?

Advice needed what do you think ?

Greetings all,
    Its been a while since I have posted up anything, Summer kept me out and about at the dog shows,and the long warm evenings kept me away form the computer, so did not do much artwork at all However I have been looking in at all the great work going on here, amazing as always
    Now that we are in Autumn/Winter season I am back at my computer and creating art and this is something that I have just recently created in AR 4 using the pencil tools, and specifically done to put in my zazzle shop, but I am always looking to try out new things and ways to improve my images. I am happy with the finished image but have been experimenting with adding overlays to get different effects. So this piece of work is a beautiful Newfoundland Dog created from my own photograph, and the image on the left has had a soft overlay added to it, via Picmonkey and the one on the right has not. As an artist who has always worked with pencils, I do like to show texture and the individual strokes used to create my work, but the overlay does have merits in softening them somewhat which I like also. So my question is to you if you were shopping on Zazzle or somewhere else which one would you prefer to have on your product ie tee shirt, mug, mousepad, etc?
    Hubby thinks I am getting too technical and fussy lol which maybe I am but I do want to provide the best I can..he prefers the one on the right! I have also included an image that was created on paper some years ago but tweaked in AR pro and with the same effect as the Newfie applied. I have to say that I am still learning AR and all that can be done with it, and have just started to get to grips with the benefits of using layers lol, still much to learn and experiment with.
    Thank you for any replies
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dylan work.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	77636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moet work_edited-2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	77637  

The ones on the right are my preference (especially the lab), but if you wanted to soften them, reduce the opacity of the top soft layer to the level that you prefer showing some of the sharper one underneath. I often do that if it's a bit sharp.

Great work!

Thanks Copespeak for your input I kinda decided that using the soft overlay is ok but perhaps the "softening effect" on these two is a little heavy as some of the detail and texture has been lost a bit, so adjusting it seems to be the way to go.
    I shall have a few more experiments today and see what I come up with.

I agree I feel the overlay works well but you need a setting somewhat in-between , love the artwork though.
    Geoff

Those are great, I love them. I prefer the 'sharp' lab, with the Newfoundland the sharp one is great, but I think the softer fur would very well too - but you'd need to keep the eyes, nose, etc. still sharp. So I guess I agree with the previous posts, somewhere in between would be best.

Thank you limey-g and Mirithiar for your input I think you are all right, somewhere in between is the right option. I shall have a play using the soft overlay and adjust to what I feel is right, reload back into AR, tweak what is needed,especially the eyes,nose and mouth and hopefully keep the softness of the fur....we shall see

I like the Newfoundland on the left, the Lab on the right so perhaps the type of coat on the animal would help to decide and as others have said maybe a little less of the effect but no matter what both are beautiful

WOW. fantastic But well beyond my knowledge and Skills so. I'm keeping Stom. SLAINTE

Thank you for all your replies much apprecaited as always. I am settling on a cross between the two which will work fine methinks, experiments are underway as I type