ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: I thought thisis interesting,

I thought thisis interesting,

I watched 3 of his vids and learned something from all of them. The most encouraging for me is that he has no art training. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFxZQ...-Xq70O3tp3iCHw

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Cool.

I always thought waving "Never went to school for it" and "Self-Taught" were a little misleading. (Be inspired by it sure. . . but it's merely circumstancial.) Whether someone went to school or not, we're all self-taught.

The value of classes is how one applies ones' self and the mindset one brings to a context. I learned most of what I know from living life and experience. I became an artist in high school where the only thing the 'teacher' did was unlock the supply cabinet. I was inspired by the artists of the time and what they were able to do.

I've been a student my whole life but was only in school for a comparatively short part of that. Some classes were useful and a large portion were a waste. I think after a student lays out a ton of money to learn something, they themselves get serious.

The real education comes by doing and following your own direction whether in school or not. And when you have to deal with the pressure to make a living at it, where you must deliver and keep current, you learn far more than any school will teach. I've been forever buying the occasional book, watching the occasional videos, you even take the odd class if you're lucky enough to find someone skilled that teaches what you want to learn. That happened for me a couple times deep into my career.

Schools are a little unusual for someone with experience because not all teacher are great artists and just took the job to pick up some easy cash. Others are brilliant. Artist teachers are just folks with all the stuff people have inside them.

It works best when the student is not a peer. I found a couple old pros and it was very helpful. YouTube is a GREAT resource. It cuts out the negativity for the most part and you can look at a technique in the best light. Glad you found it inspirational. Because it keeps the education at the cleanest level.

You're in class. So am I. Go man go!!!!!!!!

By the way, this linked video sounds like he's a good one to learn that style from.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I just know that 'school' teaches you the things you/we need to know to get started, like composition and color theory etc. Yeah, I'm learning it slowly online but I still wish I had some real training. I do see your point though, and I agree with it, I just thought watching this guy's work and hearing he was self taught might encourage some schmuck like me.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

And I'm sure it will. It's a neat find. Thanks for sharing.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I really enjoyed watching this, thanks for the link
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307