ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: can not open painting.

can not open painting.

so it was working last night, but this morning after i tried to open it it says " the file being accessed is invalid" for the title for the popup box and the content in the box says "the file selected does not appear to be of the correct format or is damaged please select a different file" i have artrage studio pro 4. any help would be much appreciated, so i can save redoing a few hours of work
    just tried this
    "Run 'appdata' ( windows key + r to run )
    Open 'roaming'
    Open 'Ambient Design'
    Open 'ArtRage 3'
    If ARRestart.ptg exists, copy it to your desktop, then attempt to open it."
    and no luck with that
    Last edited by hurnhu; 03-25-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Have you moved your saved file to a different place?

If you are opening your painting file via double clicking or via File -> Open Painting and getting that message, it would indicate that there's a problem with the file. Damaged painting files could be the result of something interfering with saving ( a crash, shutdown, power outage ) or a problem on disk.

The arrestart file is a file that ArtRage attempts to save in the event of a crash. if no crash occured you won't see a file there. It's also not always possible to save the file if a crash occurs. It is saved to the 'ArtRage' rather than 'ArtRage 3' folder with ArtRage 4. Artrage will prompt if a file exists in the location the first time you open it to ask you whether you want to recover it.

I'd recommend opening the painting via File -> Import Image then choosing the painting file. This will attempt to import the full size preview ( the first thing ArtRage saves when it saves a painting ). If this works, you should see your work on one layer and can continue on layers above.

Something else which may be useful: Artrage 4 has an automatic backup system which can be enabled. See page 107 of the manual 'store backup files' for a full description of how this works. I spotted some out of date information here, the extension used is .ptgback, not .ptg_GenX. If you've enabled this system and saved more than once, you should see a file in the same folder as your painting with the name <painting name>_GenA.ptgback. You can drag this file on to the ArtRage window to open it, then save it as a painting with a new name. This will be the version of your file from the save prior to the last one.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

sadly it can not be saved, and thanks for the help. will be turning on the backup's now to make sure even if it does happen again i wont have to start from to far back.
    im thinking the problem was caused by improper shut down.

I hope I'm not intruding too badly, but I still have some issues with AR and maybe you are in the same spot:
    Is your file size around 5.00KB (instead of the usual x MB)? I mean the file that doesn't open anymore.
    Did the save dialog prompt some errors?

A file of around 5k is definitely a damaged file. If you're seeing that happen please contact us (support@artrage.com) and send us the file along with a description of any error message you saw at the time. We can take a look at the file to see if we can see what happened.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.