ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Problems with "Precise Tablet" and Auto Hotkey

Problems with "Precise Tablet" and Auto Hotkey

Hi Folks,

I'm having an issue with Auto Hotkey and ArtRage. Specifically, on the Microsoft Surface Pro, I'm trying to map the pen button to the color picker - this is important to my painting workflow. In fact, having a functional color picker was why ArtRage won out over Sketchbook Pro for me (that and multitouch zoom). Anyway, clearly the best solution would be to map the pen button to Alt with the Wacom control panel, but unfortunately the Wintab and Wacom drivers aren't out for the Surface Pro yet. So I'm stuck using Auto Hotkey to map a right click to an alt-click (Later I'll make sure this mapping only works in ArtRage and I get right click elsewhere).

Anyway, this is the script:

RButton::
    Send {Alt down}
    Send {LButton down}
    return

RButton Up::
    Send {LButton up}
    Send {Alt up}
    return
    This works fine in Photoshop. However, it only seems to work in ArtRage when "precise tablet" is disabled (which causes me to lose pressure). A simple alt-click works fine. Very strange - what do you think "precise tablet" is doing that somehow ignores my simulated alt-click ONLY when done by the pen? Strange...

This is probably an issue relating to the Realtime Stylus drivers. If you're running on the Surface you need to have RTS on and Wintab off, and Precise Tablet mode may also need to be on - Windows 8 seems to like having Precise Tablet on in order to make RTS perform properly and we have specifically seen some issues with some driver configurations missing mouse up events when Precise Tablet mode is disabled.

Just to double check - Are you running ArtRage 4.0.2 or a previous version? We made some changes to the input system in 4.0.2 and that may be relevant.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I upgraded to 4.0.2 and the problem still persists. It's pretty strange- I can't for the life of me understand why it would accept my right click mapping just fine without "precise tablet" enabled , and then work only with an actual mouse right-click once that is enabled. I suppose it's a prelty obscure issue, but it is frustrating in my case.

There's something that changes the base behaviour of some drivers when you tell the OS you support high definition tablet input. Unfortunately we have no idea at this point what it is but I'm guessing the problem relates to the utility you're using not recognizing some of the input events RTS produces when in high definition mode.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.