ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Watcher

The Watcher

Not at all sure what I think of this!

Brett

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	church and hills.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	72635
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

I think you should be very pleased! the harlequin is surprising, tending towards the surreal, but totally plausible, and after a while, like Kafka's leopard, a natural part of the scenery ...
    Last edited by chinapete; 01-28-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Not sure? Neither am I often times at the outset, but once I start writing I often discover what I'm responding to. Sort of like holding one's painting up to a mirror or holding it upside down as a way to get a fresh eye on one's composition that they've become somewhat blind to owing to intense focus and task orientation occluding other levels. Writing is my best method to date of grasping other people's work. Vague impressions start to crystallize. Talking about it works that way too when it's to someone else, when that's available. But writing is something of a deep dive for me when I go there.

My take on your painting: he had been just sitting on the bench, when he suddenly is experiencing an 'Aha!' or 'peak' moment as it were. He leaps to his feet, eager to grasp the consciousness and inspiration. And being a denizen of the artist realm, he has merely to dip into his surroundings for the vocabulary from which to replicate his moment in a painting because those are the tools at hand.

I see a colorful guy, a contemplative, a harlequin, artist, or fool looking at different levels as connected and overlapping in this spot in this moment. Flowers, Church, Mountains all ascending like a stairway to heaven, a path not on the path he is walking, but one with little 'roadsigns' hidden in plain view along the way, a journey on a different level that opens up for him sidelong, as he stops and lets it play before him.

So now what's he going to do once he has seen this new path? That's the question facing the viewer, isn't it. I mean, we are looking through this painting at the guy, the flowers, the hills, the steeple, the mountains and have a similar question posed.

So that's the question I perceive this to be asking and I know I personally like it. The painting itself is sort of secondary. I mean it's groovy. But hey. . . I think a lot of people don't know whether they like the proposition posed here or when it happens in life. Some chase it straight away. Some hate it. It's a rather fundamental question that appears in life, met with good, bad or indifferent.

Go man go!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

It's very good. Quite unique. It all works together well. Love the illustrative style of it and it makes you ponder the meaning a bit with the harlequin outfit. Very enjoyable.

In my modet opinion, this is a masterpiece, dear mate. Super!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Brett I think you painted yourself into this picture. A colourful artist looking at his painting. I think it is brilliant
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Brett, I like this painting, colorful, inventive and a bit quirky with the harlequin to give it a bit of an edge... overall very nice work... I especially like the tree and leaves.

I think this is great but now I'm wondering what he is wondering