ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African Woman

African Woman

I thought I would try to do someone with a different coloured skin to see if I could get the tones something like right.
    I did her shawl with a sticker brush to try and create the illusion of a rough fabric.
    Geoff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ethiopian2 copy.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	71713  

WOW Geoff you nailed this one. her skin tones are perfect and the lips and teeth are near photographic as is the clothing and background... one of you best... love how you are taking your favorite genre and exploring new areas and subjects. like the Tango and this one..

geoff, this is excellent work, you are really experimenting with your talent to great success

Yes, this is a nice next step - racial specifics - especially dark skin. It's got some challenges of its own owing to keeping it rich in color yet letting the values work with the form. And this is exquisite. Very clear, and I love the overall orange as a compliment. And in addition to all that technical stuff, you really accentuated the personality which is great to manage. You've always done well at that since you lose so little from the original, and perhaps add some key stuff as well. The texture of that beige garment is phenomenal.

Love that background. She's gorgeous!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

What a truly lovely painting! She looks so real! :0)

Yes, remarkable movement in your progression of these. This is wondeful, a thoroughly balanced portrait that seems to hit all the right spots.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Excellent painting Geoff...Textures, shading and skin tones are perfect...WOW !!
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by gxhpainter View Post
    WOW Geoff you nailed this one. her skin tones are perfect and the lips and teeth are near photographic as is the clothing and background... one of you best... love how you are taking your favorite genre and exploring new areas and subjects. like the Tango and this one..
    Thanks Gary glad you liked it, at least this time I did not have to do hair, that saved a few layers

Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    geoff, this is excellent work, you are really experimenting with your talent to great success
    Thanks Pat always appreciate your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Yes, this is a nice next step - racial specifics - especially dark skin. It's got some challenges of its own owing to keeping it rich in color yet letting the values work with the form. And this is exquisite. Very clear, and I love the overall orange as a compliment. And in addition to all that technical stuff, you really accentuated the personality which is great to manage. You've always done well at that since you lose so little from the original, and perhaps add some key stuff as well. The texture of that beige garment is phenomenal.

Love that background. She's gorgeous!
    Thanks for that, the background was done over 3 layers and I always refer to my colour wheel for opposite colours, this time against the green of the scarf.
    I was quite pleased with her upper garment, I have never really got into sticker brushes too much but certainly will be investigating more in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    What a truly lovely painting! She looks so real! :0)
    Thank for your kind words very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    Yes, remarkable movement in your progression of these. This is wondeful, a thoroughly balanced portrait that seems to hit all the right spots.
    Thanks I think she worked out well, I was pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by semd74 View Post
    Excellent painting Geoff...Textures, shading and skin tones are perfect...WOW !!
    Thank you, it sure was different doing this kind of skin plus the different tones in the eyes

Thanks again everyone.
    Geoff

You got a really super portrait. Expression and skin tones were superbly grasped!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    You got a really super portrait. Expression and skin tones were superbly grasped!
    Thanks Caesar glad you liked it, the skin tones sure were different.
    Geoff