ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Koi Fish tatoo design. Work in progress. Give advice please.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chatsworth, GA USA
    Posts
    825

    Koi Fish tatoo design. Work in progress. Give advice please.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koi fish tatoo design stage 1.jpg 
Views:	8563 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	71178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koi fish tatoo design stage 2.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	71177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koi fish tatoo design stage 3.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	71176Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koi fish tatoo design stage 7.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	71175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koi fish tatoo design stage 8.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	71174

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rome (Italy)
    Posts
    24,113
    I don't like tattoes, but You certainly made an absolutely wonderful concept for it. Congrats.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chatsworth, GA USA
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I don't like tattoes, but You certainly made an absolutely wonderful concept for it. Congrats.

    Thank you Caesar for taking the time to offer words of encouragement.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    22,517
    I think you need more contrast in the fish. the line and color are so close it will look really dark and the red flower being so bright and comparatively big will make the fish seem all the more dark. I would also pay attention to the smoothness of your lines. They're a little wobbly and one of the lines goes past where it was intended to at the side into one of the scales.

    I'd recommend sitting on this one for a while and looking at it again with a fresh eye. Sometimes when we spend a lot of time on a picture it's hard to evaluate because we're too close to it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,818
    I think some more time spent also. There needs to be more definition in the fish, and the flowers looked like red explosions, at first impression. They are also covering quite a nice set of fish. Tattoos are forever.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    4,464
    Like Caesar, I am not a fan of tattoos but do appreciate their artistic value... I think you are off to a tremendous start...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chatsworth, GA USA
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    I think you need more contrast in the fish. the line and color are so close it will look really dark and the red flower being so bright and comparatively big will make the fish seem all the more dark. I would also pay attention to the smoothness of your lines. They're a little wobbly and one of the lines goes past where it was intended to at the side into one of the scales.

    I'd recommend sitting on this one for a while and looking at it again with a fresh eye. Sometimes when we spend a lot of time on a picture it's hard to evaluate because we're too close to it.
    This was consept only version. I plan on changeing the flowers to lotus flowers. The darker colors was because it is more mascaline than the brighter colors but I agree they need work still. I kept the line there only as reference not as hard stop for the fish. Also I plan on adding more background and a dragon rising on the top so it is very incomplete throwing ideas out there. I did post asking for the more skilled to toss me some designs but was fruitless. I am not in a hurry just someone sugested I draft up something to give more of an ideal behind the desired tattoo. I plan on changeing from marker to pencle for the line work to make them smoother and add more detail to the entire work. The color of the Koi have specific meanings in traditional art so I plan on working this out beter.

    Red Koi
    Red koi fish represents love. It also symbolizes strength and masculinity. The color red always symbolizes bravery and energy. Red koi fish is said to be strongest and is known for its ability to swim opposite to the strongest currents of the river.

    Dragon Koi
    Dragon koi tattoo symbolizes overcoming obstacles, as koi fish travel up the Yellow river and once it reaches the end of the river it transforms into a dragon. Hence, overcoming adversity represented by the strong river to fulfill its own destiny and reaching its goal is another popular symbolization of koi tattoos. It is also seen as a symbol of strength and will, the will to go against odds to reach its destiny. A dragon is also a representation of power and ferocity, along with mystery and aura. It is also seen as re-birth, new start or beginning, more so after a divorce or bereavement signaling a new chapter in a strong-willed person's life. Thus it enables them to move on start afresh in life.

    Black Koi
    The black koi tattoo design is said to be a symbol of success after a change. It is most likely to cross Lung Men and win transformation into dragons. Hence, it is can also be seen as a fight against adversity.

    Blue Koi
    The meaning associated with a blue koi is controversial. It is said to represent masculinity and may also be associated with reproduction.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    22,517
    Yeah, well as a thinking process these are really nice and you can see the ideas as you work through some designs.

    Love the symbolic meaning of coy as you noted.

    I would recommend that you do your drawings on a flesh color ground, the flesh color that will be tattooed. It will help you visualize your values and colors how they will actually play when done. The color white is a little misleading. You might even take a very high rez photo and place the drawings on the body part so you get 100 percent of the context.

    There were a couple forum members who have drifted off who were into tattoos who would have more to say than I and experience. I have none regarding tattoo design. I'm approaching this in a "how would I approach this kind of art assignment as an artist" head space because you asked for feedback.

    Keep going for perfection. Like was mentioned, tattoos are with you forever.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chatsworth, GA USA
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Yeah, well as a thinking process these are really nice and you can see the ideas as you work through some designs.

    Love the symbolic meaning of coy as you noted.

    I would recommend that you do your drawings on a flesh color ground, the flesh color that will be tattooed. It will help you visualize your values and colors how they will actually play when done. The color white is a little misleading. You might even take a very high rez photo and place the drawings on the body part so you get 100 percent of the context.

    There were a couple forum members who have drifted off who were into tattoos who would have more to say than I and experience. I have none regarding tattoo design. I'm approaching this in a "how would I approach this kind of art assignment as an artist" head space because you asked for feedback.

    Keep going for perfection. Like was mentioned, tattoos are with you forever.

    I think it is a wonderful idea to use a flesh color background while working on them. Thank you for the wonderful thoughts. I plan on spending most of saturday working only on one fish to get it just like I want it. I think that in a weeks time I should be able to get most of it done with all my family obligations I have. It is more about the art than the tatoo for me. I just want it to be original and artistic. I would be honored if you gave it a stab to see what you can come up with.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    22,517
    I just noticed your avatar -- very cool! Hahah. Love it.

    As to me doing some art for you, sorry, I was meaning that I problem solve in my head in that mindset. Besides, you're getting a lot more out of this doing it yourself. Look at all the research you've done and there's no substitute for hands on doing it. It's a tempting thought for me to play around with it, but I'm afraid I just haven't the spare time. I'll enjoy following your process though. You're doing great. And your progress has been phenomenal since you started here in ArtRage. Go man go!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •