ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making patterns like gingham or polkadots

Making patterns like gingham or polkadots

Is there a way to do this...make a checker, gingham or polkadot pattern for a template so all you have to do is switch out color.
    Didn't see this anywhere in the forums. I also searched youtube for instruction nothing there either. Any help would be great.
    Thanks

I use "Save As" every day. For any design I save a copy of its bare-bones black&white outline and name it as a template. I can open the black&white template design and "save as" to rename it and do a different color scheme. (It's like making my own coloring books.) If I don't want the new piece to have a black outline, I touch the outline with the Fill Tool to change its color. For instance, I might have Big Fish Template, Big Fish 1, Big Fish 2. Or more often; Big-Fish-First-Try-Template, Big-Fish-Second-Try-Template, Big-Fish-I-Give-Up-But-Won't-Discard-the-Design.

Sometimes I want something that can't be done in a coloring book style-- I keep all the elements of the design on different layers. For a plaid I make several layers of warp stripes and several layers of weft stripes. When I reopen the canvas later, I "save as" and then use the Adjust Colors Edit to change stripe colors, or Lock Transparency and use Spray Paint over the colors, layer by layer. That way I not only change the colors, but can change the number of colors.

For polkadots, (or little fishes or leaves or etc) I make a sticker spray. I hope you will get Studio Pro soon, and fall as much in love with Sticker Sprays as I have.

Um, yeah. "Warp and Weft" sounds pretty silly. Vertical and horizontal. Also, you can design a sticker spray that almost looks like the stripes are made of threads. I love ArtRage.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for, but if you want a way to do patterns, like making a grid, halftone effects, etc, you could make a tile to use as a canvas/layer texture. Once you import the pattern as a texture, where you can manipulate certain aspects of the tile, like scale. Once you're ready, you can use the Paint Roller tool tool, with it's pressure set to 100%, to lay an even coating of color over the tile, which only stick the high points of the texture, leaving behind a pattern (see attached screen shot). I discuss how to use textures HERE as well, if you need more help on that aspect of things (there's also a video tutorial link).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canvastexture.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	70787  
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks for the replies,

I do have Artrage Pro and I love it. I use it basically to create art for my business, but I struggle with the technical part of it...it is not just Artrage I have this problem actually I do much better with this than PS. I can create wonderful works of art with what I am using like the brushes, pens, settings, papers, ect...the basics oh and I love making stencils, but I know I am only skimming the surface of the potential of this program. I don't use the sticker sprays much that the program came with. I just looked at them again and they look like they would work great for what I am trying to do, will have to explore those...that would be so cool if I could make my own. I have tried making sticker sprays before back when I first got Artrage and was trying to see how everything worked, but didn't have much success ....I will give it a try again.
    I know my question seems silly and probably simple I was kind of embarrassed to ask, but it is odd if I have to make grids or use rulers to line things up and have everything neat and even in rows I have a hard time, but I can draw almost anything free hand....doesn't make sense my brain just doesn't seem to grasp that straight line everything perfectly spaced concept....hope that made sense.
    I will give these ideas a try and hopefully have success.
    Thanks

I have a suggestion that may help you achieve your goal. It may be that with some experimenting you will find a way to get the gingham, polka dot look.

The spray gun tool may work for you. As you may know, you can do straight lines by holding the "control" key and using whatever tool you want.

I used the spray gun tool. I opened up the "Settings", Then set the pressure to 100%, the opacity to 100%, the hardness to 100 %. The other three settings at 0%. Blend mode: Difference.

Spray any color while holding down the control key to make a straight line.

Move the cursor to the edge of the first line and hold the control key once again and spray along the edge of the first line. Move to another edge, spray, etc. That is how I started with this experiment. Experiment with all the colors you like. You can hold down the control key to create a straight line. Repeat, then try moving the sprayed line over the edge of the previous line, see what you get.

Also, try just letting the spray form circles and move to the edge and spray again. Hope that helps. Have fun!!!

I have attached a couple of samples of what I am trying to explain.

Name:	airspray experiment 2.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	307.5 KB 
ID:	71300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spray experiment 1.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	71301  

Hi,

in addition to all the other nice suggestions presented, you can also use the features of AR stickers to make useful templates.
    In this period I am experimenting with the freeware vectorial program Inkscape, that has very powerful functions for cloning and tiling.
    I attach two stencils I made with Inkscape, one for gingham and the other for polkadots, feel free to use them as you prefer.

Name:	Polkadot stencil 1.jpg 
Views:	23922 
Size:	326.8 KB 
ID:	71335  
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Antlab; 11-25-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Wow! Your gingham and spots are amazing! Lots of detail in the gingham. Thanks for the share. :0)

Plaids of varying color: step one, brush stroke using Sticker Spray.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture Brush Stroke..JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	71354

For Sticker:
    Thin line of Gloop (Pseudo Water Blob) dragged across textured surface.
    Make Duplicate Layer. Remove all color from the Duplicate Layer for Texture Map.
    Add Gray Scale globs of varying luminosity to the Texture Map.

After creating the sticker, I set a very simple setup for spray.

Plaids of varying colors: step two, stripes of desired colors created in layers.
    My Sticker Spray functions only vertically. In order to make horizontal stripes, I make them first as vertical, then rotate them to a horizontal position using the grab&move tool. (I don't remember the name of the tool, but it shows in the screen shot).

Name:	Capture Plaid 1.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	71355