ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Selection Tool to give a cleaner line.

Selection Tool to give a cleaner line.

I do a lot of selecting to change colours, filling and just making shapes. But when I select, I get a very ridgy selection that makes a very messy line that needs cleaning up afterwards. The marching ants look like the graphic below.....

I have the setting on 0% Feathering as I want a clean line with no mushy stuff. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

If you're getting that sort of effect, it would tend to indicate that there are pixels within the selection tolerance range in that shape ( you may not be able to see them, but if spread is high enough then they'll be within the area ). Try reducing the 'spread' dial to eliminate the borderline pixels.

If that doesn't help, let us know what you're trying to achieve and we may be able to help.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'Spread Dial'. I have feathering at 0%, draw my line and that's what I get.

You probably get sick of hearing this, but in Photoshop, when I draw the line with the selection tool, I just get whatever is within that line. If I fill it or paint in that selection, it is a clean line. It is pretty important to my way of working.

Art Rage does many things that PS cannot do, and I still do most of my painting in AR, but it would be nice not to have to travel backwards and forwards for this.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

How are you selecting the line, with as many details as possible? Let me know what steps you're using.

Also, what version of ArtRage are you using?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I'm using Ar Pro... 3.5, I think. Windows Vista.

To explain what I was doing, I was drawing leaves, did them roughly until I was happy, then selected a smooth line along the edges where I wanted a flat colour to paint on, selected with the settings above, and got the messy line. I tried a new layer and did it again on that, and still wiggly.
    Last edited by copespeak; 10-18-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Can you please let me know how you made the selection i.e. which selection mode you used for example magic wand and how you went about selecting the line with that mode?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

The Freehand Tool, and just drew the selection line with it.

Thanks for that. Freehand selections will respond to all of the tiny movements you make as you draw the selection ( and also any inaccuracies which may come from the tablet or tablet driver ), so can get a crenalated edge. Photoshop I suspect does some sort of smoothing here. This is something we've got noted down to look into for the future.

If you're trying to change the colour of a line there are some possible alternative options

- You could use the magic wand mode of the selection tool to click on the line. Adjust the spread value in the settings panel for this mode to get the desired effect.

- You could lock transparency for the layer you've painted on, then fill or paint on top with the new colour. To do this, go to the layer with your leaf on and click the lock icon at the top right. You will then no longer be able to paint or apply colour outside the exact area of the contents of that layer. This is probably the best option if you're looking to apply paint over the existing content to replace it as it has some advantages over selections.

- You could create a stencil from the layer contents by right clicking the layer and choosing this option from the menu which appears.

- You could select the layer contents via Edit -> Select Layer Contents.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thank you so much for trying to resolve this issue for me. That's one of the things I love about AR. You ask a question and it's answered quickly and competently.

Reading what you say, and doing problem solving myself, I have realised that I can draw an outline in the colour I would fill in on a new layer, and then hit the fill button. So that's that issue solved. I also select and adjust colours, often darkening or lightening as required, so will still get a mushy line there. Can't have everything!

I haven't tried the stencil process since your suggestion, but wouldn't that bring up all the messy bit's I'm trying to get rid of as shadows and mucky edges, not a clean fill?

Locking the layer would lock in all the messy lines I'm trying to get rid of, and include the stalk, stem and veins. No matter.

Yes, a smoothing process for selecting would be good, also PS has selection modifications ... expand, contract, etc, which is useful.... and 'select similar' (colours).

Thanks Again! Back to the drawing board.

:0) Robyn.

Thank you! Sorry I couldn't help further, but I'm glad to hear that you've found a method which works for you. You're correct, if you have a lot of other content on that layer, using stencils / layer transparency lock isn't going to work. We have some ideas as to how to smooth out the freehand selection in ArtRage for the future.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design