ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: NULOOQ SUPPORT - queries and recommendations

Gallery
    View images

NULOOQ SUPPORT - queries and recommendations

I realize that its probably not cost effective for Ambient Design to program full support for the Nulooq navigator, but let me describe my situation and what I'm after:

I use a hybrid tablet pc with Artrage.

Sometimes I'm sitting at a desk in slate mode and would like access to hotkeys.

I purchased and installed the Nulooq Navigator to use as a 'navigator' and button box. The Nulooq consists of a rubber Navring, a circular ToolTuner, and 5 Triggerpoints.

I proceded to try and get rotation, pan, as well as other custom controls/hotkeys to work.

NAVRING: Sadly, rotation and pan in artrage both require mouse/pen interaction with the screen. Full Nulooq support would enable Nulooq to handle this entirely without mouse/pen interaction. Thus the best configuration I can get is to make the Nulooq navring controls simple 'hotkeys.'

I could fully enable the navring IF your programmers created hotkeys that scrolled the canvas (sans mouse or pen interaction) and made it so they could be chorded. Up, Down, Left and Right would do it. I would custom program the navring to those keys and problem solved!

TOOLTUNER: The tooltuner on top of the Nulooq has been set to change tool/brush size. This works well. However, it appears that Artrage does not support dynamic resizing of the tool/brush while actively drawing. Is this correct? Can this be changed?

TRIGGERPOINTS: It would be beneficial to add a single keystroke that cycles between all the available art tools, or perhaps a customizable subset. This way a person could use a single button to work with their favorite tools. In the case of the Nulooq, I could use a single triggerpoint (top center) to toggle between pen, pencil, eraser. Perhaps a preferences setting could let me choose which tools get toggled, or an INI file entry (togglekeys = "2,0,5")

Love ARTRAGE. Thanks for keeping it cheap!

Gallery
    View images
    Could we forget about the babble of my previous post? Here is the distillation of my suggestions:

(1) Requesting a 'next tool' key to cycle between available tools, or a user specified subset (eg, the last three tools used). I spend a lot of time switching between the pencil, the marker and the eraser. Toggling between them would be a godsend.

(2) Requesting a 'scale tool' key. Basically a single key that when held down will allow the user to scale the current tool by moving the pen right/left. Saves the advanced user from having to go back to the tool picker all the time.

(3) Requesting that you expose rotation and panning of the canvas as keystrokes, perhaps using the NUM KEYS. This will allow people who are on tablets pcs (with no available keyboard) to map X-keys, Nulooq or Spacenavigator to control all six canvas motions (up, down, left, right, rotate left, rotate right).

Gallery
    View images
    gamedeveloper I share your ideas! Re: a next tool, it makes me think of first-person shooter games, where I can press a number to switch buttons, OR I can use the scroll wheel. I'd find this really handy with ArtRage too, especially when I've moved the keyboard away and I'm using my Wacom Intuos3 I could certainly stand to assign its keys for more versatility.

Having quicker access to scale brushes would be better too, I'm reminded of [ and ] in Photoshop to change brush size.