ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting MAD! (+ color duck)

Wink Getting MAD! (+ color duck)

I'm reading and enjoying a tutorial book for caricatures by Tom Richmond and decided to go a try exactly with Tom Richmond, but, in a short time as usual, I didn't consciously follow any of his great suggestions and quickly proceeded by impression and built-in machine. There's a collection of this guy's caricatures on his site at MAD's blog.
    I hope You like it.

I also applied "authomatically" to a picture guts of what he suggested, but, quite obviously, it always requires human sensitivity to get a good caricature I guess. See the experiment herebelow. I hope You find it interesting too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tom Richmond.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	67912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bridget Regan Caricature from Picture Base.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	67915  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Caesar; 06-23-2012 at 12:50 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Very nicely done Caesar.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Thank You, dear Barn!
    Another funny version of the same person (in case You may easily find him and how he looks like).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

great work. I like the pencil qualities and it seems you have taken what you needed from the book..sounds like it was instructive and fun.

Nicely done caesar, my wife says put some glasses on the last one and you will have done a portrait of me. ( cheeky).
    Geoff

Great work my friend!!
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Great stuff Caesar! Really good stylization. It looks like a man, but it's whimsically stylized enough to be a delight to look at.

The next step, when you're ready, is to do your initial lay-in on a separate under-layer, perhaps in light blue, then do a clean drawing version on top using lines that are more sure. That way it will reproduce with clarity, and you will have the added ability to put color to it without conflict.

The reason for light blue is so that you can see the layer you're working on vs. what is the rough. You will ultimately get to the point of not needing to make so many marks, but that directness will come from naturally evolving from experience. But you're going about it the right way! Very impressive.

This really is a great stylization. Just a little hairy and soft with the line quality. However, the placement of the lines is great. I have no idea who that person is, but he's very convincing. And making him a duck is really unexpected and funny.

Go man go!!!!!! Very impressive.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank You, dear Gary! Actually I think I didn't observe use Tom Richardson cues, neither did I follow his style, but he certainly helped me to see a little more. I tend to intuitively grasp some detail and line to focus on for recognizability and build the rest trying not to spoil the effect I got with some rightly traced crucial lines and traits so as to be quite speedy.

Dear Geoff, I hope she's not implying some way, vaguely, that You may be a sitting duck ... Actually i already made caricatures at work when I was young and I also drew a tree where all my closest collegues were all over the braches with their caricatures as birds, according to their main physical and psychological features. Thank you!

Great suggestion, dear D Akey. Actually I could use the ink pen on a layer above to trace only the main lines and I used to do so in the past on caricatures of my collegues (almost never too exaggerated according to many caricaturist style as for their features indeed). as a matter of fact, with persons I saw everyday for quite some time, I was able to trace few lines describing him/ her even not completing the drawing or the face. I only used natural intuition on some starting line (either intentional or casual). With those familiar friends and collegues, I was able to make well recognizable caricature of them also at their apparent age of six, then as newborn babies, as various types of birds and, finally, seen from the back, thus making them recognizable only by shape and posture. So, in a way, I'm on both extremesy as an attitude. An overworked drawing, when I try to progressively carve the likeness, a most sparing linear drawing, when I'm kissed by the muse. Thank You very much. Your indications, suggestions and ecouragement are now a main volume among my tutorials and I really appreciated each single word You used to enhance my skill and confidence.

I think the duck is one of Your cutest characters, dear Sandra, so a guess You appreciated also this caricature of Tom Richardson as a feathered animal ... Thank You!

Caesar, I love these drawings, have never tried this style, but maybe some day lol, really enjoy viewing them