ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Crop / Expand the canvas

Crop / Expand the canvas

Hi,
    I feelstupid: I do not understand the option “Crop / Expand the canvas”. I feel I cannotuse it with the trial version. Is this option really intuitive? I read posts in the forum, I really try everything,but to no avail.
    May I havea few explanations?
    Thank you.

The Crop/Expand the Canvas option is used to change the size of the canvas you are painting on without changing the paint you have already applied.

Imagine this: You've started painting in the center of a sheet of A3 paper and you realise suddenly that you're only using a small part of it. You want to get rid of the extra area around your painting to make it A4 so you take some scissors and cut the paper down to size. That's what 'cropping' is: You're cutting off parts of the canvas to make it smaller.

Because ArtRage is a digital product you can also do something you can't in the real world: Make the canvas larger.

So the Crop/Expand option allows you to change the size of the canvas without changing the size of the stuff you have placed on the canvas. The 'Resize' option is different, it lets you change the size of the painting which includes both the canvas and its contents.

When you crop or expand the canvas, the bottom area of the panel allows you to change the position of the original contents of your painting inside the new canvas area. So if I am making my canvas larger I could choose to place all of the paint I have already applied at the top left of the new canvas. Do this by dragging the preview around and you can choose where the paint will go.

The option should work in the demo.

If that doesn't help, could you let me know what you are trying to achieve and I should be able to help.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you. Your explanations will help me to make all kinds of tests.