ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Paper by 53 pencil in ArtRage for iPad

Question Paper by 53 pencil in ArtRage for iPad

Basically, I am blown away by how the pencil tool in the app "Paper by Fifty Three" works. It's the most real looking pencil I've seen in a drawing app. How can I get that same tool in ArtRage? I've tried variations of size and pressure and canvas settings and so far, nothing has come close. Paper IS free to try so please, check out their pencil tool and help me out!

It looks like the pencil tool has to be purchased from their store in order to use it - However I've taken a look at some of the samples.

The main difference between their tool and the ArtRage tool is probably that they're not doing live adjustment of the pigment stroke based on a canvas texture, rather they are adding a fixed texture to the stroke so there is more internal control over the result. Because ArtRage is simulating a physical surface the pencil will interact with whatever texture is provided underneath it. You may find that the paper you are using has a particularly fine or rough grain that's adjusting the results.

It also looks like their pencil has opacity control (possibly based on velocity, hard to say without trying it live). Because we're simulating a real pencil we don't provide direct control over digital properties of the pixel in that regard, but if you try taking the softness of the pencil up and reducing the pressure value to simulate a lighter stroke you should see some variance.

The two applications are very different, and there are bound to be some properties of one system that the other lacks, but by looking at the properties of the surface and tool in ArtRage you should be able to get a good range of natural pencil textures that reflect the canvas you're working on. Hope that helps!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    It looks like the pencil tool has to be purchased from their store in order to use it - However I've taken a look at some of the samples.

It also looks like their pencil has opacity control (possibly based on velocity, hard to say without trying it live). Hope that helps!
    I think I get it. If you want to try their pencil out, then in the app, click on the pencil. It will bring up the store, but there's a button that says try it. You can then use the pencil right there on that purchase page, if you want to check it out more.

I use to draw quite a bit back in the day, and last year I was lucky and managed to grab Art Rage for iPad for cheap, I think it was a sale or maybe it was free for a day, I can't remember now. I did use it to make a pretty cool drawing of Robin, using layers (via the Marvel Comcs Drawing Book Method). But I think I'm more of a doodler these days and have yet to really dive into Art Rage and all it's capabilities (of which it seems there are a million!). Someday I'll get there!

Thanks for the info!