ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How to shade on an iPad?

How to shade on an iPad?

Hi all,

I am learning to draw using AR on my iPad. What should I use to shade with? Since the iPad isn't pressure sensitive, it seems hard to properly shade objects. Less pressure doesn't seem to matter.

Is there a tool that will let me properly blend shading from light to dark?

Thanks if you can help me. I love AR, but I am still very much a newbie.

the palette knife can act as a pastel blunt. just play with the settings a bit if necessary to get what you like.
    also the chalk tool works nicely.

I find the airbrush tool also works very well for this. experiment with the settings but it seems very good to me even at the default settings.

Yeah, it all depends on the look you're trying to get. Many of the tools can be used for shading, it just comes down knowing how to handle them, and where to use them for specific effects. The type of shading you want, also comes into play. A digital artist, used to using something like Photoshop, may want a tool that uses blend modes, while a traditional artist, accustomed to using Oil Paints, may be looking for more a smearing technique.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.