ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: 2 questions on color density

2 questions on color density

#1 I am having a problem with coverage. Which tool will give the most density and coverage? Problem, I am outlining my subject. Next layer I fill with same color. When printed the outline is much denser then the solid color and sometimes is not completely covered. This does not show until printed. It makes a lot of extra work and money.

#2 Is there any way to set an option to show the above flaw before printing?

Does anyone use a reasonably priced printer to print out their artwork? If so what are you using and do you like it?

Can you let us know the following:

1/ What version of ArtRage you're using
    2/ What operating system you're using
    3/ Can you post an example image which has the problem when printed? You can find information on attaching an image here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thank you Dave for your prompt reply.
    I think I have one problem solved. On my solid areas I can make a fine outline and then full with the paint bucket to get my solid fill with no brush marks then erase my out line. Does this sound correct? I can't send a picture, I corrected the issue and deleted the old one so I would not accidental use it again.

I have the pro version, and am using xp. As far as showing up the flaws on my monitor, I'm not sure still on that one. Are my resolutions set to high? Every thing looks good until I print it out then all the flaws show.

Any suggestions on printer. Say about $100 That would print my art work up to 8x10. and also what kind of photo paper matte no smudge?

What I imagine you're seeing is a border between the edge of the fill area and your paint stroke. If this is the case, there are a couple of things I'd recommend.

1/ Use a tool like the ink pen to do the outline. The ink pen doesn't add any texture or paint thickness like the oil brush, it just places down colour.

2/ When using the fill tool, open the settings panel and uncheck 'antialias edge' as well as increasing the 'spread' value, generally to a high amount. This setting controls how much of a colour range the fill tool will include in its filled area. For what it sounds like you're doing, I'd suggest moving it as close to 100% as possible. If you fill and it overflows into another area, reduce the spread value.

It's possible that your monitor has different brightness or colour settings than your printer, zoom in after doing your fill to take a look at the area and make sure you don't see anything obvious.

Regarding printer recommendations, I'm not sure on that one but another user may have some ideas. This may not relate to your printer however, so it'd be worthwhile trying the steps above.

If the information above doesn't help, if you have a sample painting file which has the problem when printing and is less than 10mb in size ( you can check by right clicking the file and going to 'properties' ) you could email it to me at support@artrage.com and I can take a look at it for you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thank you so much Dave for your help. I really enjoy the program and learning something new everyday

I use an Epson Workforce 1100. Prints nice oversized prints- up to 13 x 19, with nice dye based inks. I use thicker watercolor paper and they look great. 100-150$.