ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A couple of quick questions regarding scanning and image editing

A couple of quick questions regarding scanning and image editing

OK, maybe this time got it in the right place:

1. can an image (sketches I do on paper in RL) be scanned into Artrage

2. If my sketches can be scanned into Artrage, can I work them like regular artrage drawings?

3. If I cannot scan into Artrage, I can always do that into photoshop and work off that image i suppose.

any suggestions? and thanks!

ArtRage doesn't handle scanning directly, but most scanners come with software of their own for that. It should be as simple as putting the image on the scanner bed, and pushing the scan button. As far as being able to work the image in ArtRage, yes, it is possible. How you do it will depend on what type of work you plan to do, but one example I have available, is attached below. It's an Adam Hughes pencil sketch, that I colored in ArtRage using the Felt Pen. I did it as a test, for (this thread), trying to find a good Copic Marker simulation.

Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Oh great, it was what i expected to hear. I can scan directly into photoshop and if i cannot in Artrage, it's really no biggie. Just wanted to be clear that I was not missing anything--im on an artrage-a -thon as i try to learn this stuff quickly. This is the most fun I have had with software in a long time.

Regarding copic markers:

Autodesk who makes Maya and Autocad have a software which is FREE called Sketchbook express which is a really nifty piece of software.

They also now have a Copic marker version of Sketchbook express and I really MEAN copic makers. Its amazing and it's also free.

I would be curious as to what you think of it--i have it on my dock here and i love it. Here is the link:

http://www.blendernation.com/2011/08...-edition-free/

This link is over at Blender Nation which is where I spend the other part of my life--there and at Wetcanvas.

again, if you get this, let me know what you think and thanks for clarifying the scan issue for me.

scanning follow up

Well, turns out that while I was living a perfectly blissful scan filled life in CS3, I decided that I would upgrade to CS5--which apparently does not support scanning. So if any of you are having this problem and have a solution, I'm all ears.

In the meantime, I am using another photoshop program called Manga Studio 5EX which scans wonderfully.

@someonesane--thats a fabulous piece of work you did with the simulated copic makers--i have the complete set of them in my studio and I love them in rl. I also have a sketchbook express version of them too. Anywhoo, nice work!

Have you tried updating and reinstalling your scanner drivers now you've upgraded Photoshop? Doing so may then add scanning functions to the 'File > Import' menu in Photoshop CS5.

Or maybe, if you still have it, you could copy the scanning plug-in from your CS3 Photoshop to the necessary folder in Photoshop CS5's 'Plug-ins' directory (Import-Export?). It might be Twain plugin?.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb..._TWAIN_plug_in

Apologies if that makes no sense - I'm thinking about how the Mac version is set up which may be unhelpful if the Win version differs at all.
    Last edited by Bertrude; 07-05-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Isn't it a pain when something works perfectly, you upgrade, and it's wrecked. It's very strange though that a big program like CS5 doesn't support scanning. That's just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by hildee View Post
    Isn't it a pain when something works perfectly, you upgrade, and it's wrecked. It's very strange though that a big program like CS5 doesn't support scanning. That's just weird.
    Yeah, I didn't like PS CS5 because it did not support scanning, but CS6 now has scanner compatibility .

Anyway, I started using a scanner software called VueScan for all my scanning. I'd recommend it highly.

(you'll have to Google search for VueScan, because as a new member I apparently don't have permission to post links . I tried posting the link to VueScan, but my post was rejected).