ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Sticker Spray and Color Blending

Sticker Spray and Color Blending

I'm guessing the answer is no, but here goes.

I've been using the Sticker Spray tool to make some custom brushes. I notice that there is no color blending what so ever. Is there a way to get it to behave like wet paint or like the blending felt pen?

BTW, thats a terrible name for such a great feature. It makes it seem like a "toy" and not like an advanced user tool. It should just have been called Brush Editor.

Thanks!

You're right in your assumption about it not being able to blend, or smear, colors. This probably because it wasn't really designed to act as a brush, but rather just be a simple means for us to drop an assortment of various color, and scaled, Stickers at a time. Think of a scrapbook crafts-person, dumping their box of goodies onto a table, and you'll probably get the idea. However, the ArtRage team saw fit to give us a great deal of features to adjust, which also allowed us to manipulate the tool enough, so that it can work like a bitmap brush.

The Stickers should not be directly associated with the flat, bitmap shapes, that are used as brush tips in programs like Photoshop. It's true that they can be made from nothing more then a single, flat image. However, by using the Color, Texture, Gloss, and Metallic features on the Sticker Creator, they can be given a surface, which reflects light off of ArtRage's light source rendering. To see an example of this, open the "ZapPowBlam" Sticker Sheet, place one of the stickers from it onto the canvas, and use its transformation rig to rotate it. You should see a reflection of light bouncing off of it, like this:
    Because of these dynamics, I don't think the ArtRage team wanted to advertise the Spray as being a "brush", because it would lead people to assume that the stickers could be nothing but a simple, flat, single image.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks for the in depth explanation.

In the future I hope we can get more control over they way the Sticker Spray interacts with the canvas and with wet paint.

I was trying to create something exactly like the Felt Pen's Blending marker, but with a broad tip instead of a round tip. I had everything working perfectly except the color blending part. Interacting with the canvas would be nice, but not necessary.

The second picture on this page is what I was after:
    http://www.mangalessons.com/copic-marker-tutorial