ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: AR Studio Pro vs. Studio

Red face AR Studio Pro vs. Studio

This may sound like a dopey thing to ask about. I know there's a page here that does a rundown of the differences between the two. Just not enough of a technophile to understand some of the jargon.

Here's a few thing I need to know as I'm trying to determine whether to upgrade to Pro from Studio.

What are the select options in Pro? Does it have a magic wand type selection tool and brush selection tool. Can selected areas be expanded and contracted?

Can layers be locked?

I guess that's about it. I use those two features a lot and right now I'm switching a lot between AR Studio and Photoshop Elements. I'd like to work in a single program.

Thanks!

Mike
    I'm an artist. I draw flies . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin View Post
    What are the select options in Pro? Does it have a magic wand type selection tool and brush selection tool.
    Pro adds a Polygon, Freehand, Magic Wand, and a Paint area option to the selection tool. The Polygon option lets the user create a selection, using straight lines, by clicking on a point, dragging a line to another area, and clicking again, until the user has created a selection shape, such as a triangle, square, star, etc. The Freehand option lets a user draw a line, like using a pencil, to select a space around the area they wish to surround (like photoshops lasso tool). The Magic Wand lets a user click on an area of the canvas, then AR will decide (based on inputs within the settings panel) the area which the user would most likely wish selected. Example, if you a black and white image, and clicked on a white area, AR would try to outline any white area connected to where the user clicked, without jumping over the black areas (again, this is defined by the settings panel, so it may be set to forgive small areas of black, which would allow the selection to bleed into other white areas). Pait Area lets a user paint over an area to select it (so it's basically a form of masking). It only allows the use of a single sort of round brush, however. Because of this, I prefer to use a simple workaround, which makes use of another Pro only feature, called the Select Layer Contents. On a separate layer, I use whichever tool I prefer to mask over the area I want to select, then go to Edit > Select Layer Contents (which I've made into a keyboard shortcut, as Pro allows) and use it to select the masked area. I can then do whatever I want with the mask, such as use it to cut an area out of a separate layer, transform an area, or just use it as a mask while adding details.

Can selected areas be expanded and contracted?
    Nope. I've done it with a workaround, using the blur layer feature (both, expanding and contracting), but it'd probably be easier to just open the file in another program, as you have been.

Can layers be locked?
    No, but the transparency of a layer can be.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks for the info. Almost, but not quite everything I was looking for. Think I'll stick with my "Studio to Photoshop" system for now.

Thanks!
    I'm an artist. I draw flies . . .