ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa

Just a hominid with spare time trying to figure this all out. The quote is from Jackson Browne, The Dancer. The video that got my cortex a whirring is on Vimeo. I hope this address gets you there.

http://vimeo.com/25927524
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    P.D. Dinkles
    El Jefe Bombero (jubilado)

PD... interesting poem and a great image for it...very 3d feeling..

I have been trying to go from the middle ages to the Italian renaissance, in depth. Though I pine for Giotto, Fra Angelica, et al.

If you are not familiar with Jackson Browne perhaps you should check him out. His songs have a quiet depressing wisdom.
    P.D. Dinkles

Cool video.

From Wikipedia:

Tabula rasa is the epistemological theory that individuals are born without built-in mental content and that their knowledge comes from experienceperception. Generally proponents of the tabula rasa thesis favour the "nurture" side of the nature versus nurture debate, when it comes to aspects of one's personality, social and emotional behaviour, and intelligence. The term in Latin equates to the English "blank slate" (or more accurately, "erased slate") (which refers to writing on a slate sheet in chalk) but comes from the Roman tabula or wax tablet, used for notes, which was blanked by heating the wax and then smoothing it to give a tabula rasa.

An interesting philosophy not without some soundness. No idea about absolutes, but the idea resonates even though I think there's more to it than that. Depends on the depth one chooses to explore.

The painting you did is really good conceptually. To me it has lots of possible meanings. It could be like a mirror showing back all the blank pages that will be filled in one's lifetime(s). Or it could be an indication of leaves from the pages of their book. Or it could be the fingerprint of an alien where instead of maze like swirls they have a completely different patterning, perhaps implying a different idea how to gauge their existence.
    Etc etc.

As to the study of the metamorphosis of the Gothic into the Renaissance, it's a fascinating period for sure. And in keeping with the theme of being a blank slate on to which bits of knowledge through experience of some sort accumulate creating or at least defining who we are, the rediscovery of the Old to bring in the Renaissance was a good argument for Tabula Rosa. Not so grim as the animation. But to me it shows why civilization of individuals is valuable.

Just for what it's worth, in that animation, I kept getting the flash that in that sparse lifeless world, were that tree to remain where it was, it could perhaps create a small pocket of life. But in that the Robot placed it on high, the seeds could scatter by the winds and the birds to very far reaches. So it certainly serves Life to aspire to the heights. And so there's certainly worth that comes in indirectly in addition to the tighter focus of our tasks.

Cool experience all around, PD.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

PD, interesting and great image, after reading the quote by Mr Browne I thought .. well yes a blank mind knows neither happiness nor sorrow so how would one know the reason for their being

I always saw it as either:

(1) We are born and contain within us everything which determines us (everything is carried in the genetic materials we are comprised of) (twin experiments);

(2) We are blank slates and we become through experience. I think it was Nirvana who sang, "All we are is all we know."

(3) Is it a combination of these factors, or

(4) NEITHER. The video and the lyrics caused me to think about 4.

Anyway, this is Art not Philosophy. Get back to painting.
    P.D. Dinkles

Nice poem and painting.

I was thrown by your interest in the Renaissance and the overlap of Art and everything else.

It's a cool image as I said. Haven't heard the name Jackson Brown in a while though. I liked his work. (Darn. . . that's music, isn't it. . .).

I'm afraid I don't know how to separate it all. But paint we must!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Tabula Rasa

I find this post truly inspirational! Thank you PD for the wonderful image and the video link and thank you D Akey for your meaningful explanation of the subject matter - helped me to understand, appreciate and enjoy it better.