ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Color Profiles

Color Profiles

v. 3.5.3
    OS 10.6.8

I don't see how Artrage handles color profiles for correct printing values on selected papers.

Hi there,

Artrage doesn't support colour profiles at this point. If you want to use colour profiles, you would need to use an external program after exporting.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

ICC Profile Workflow

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Hi there,

Artrage doesn't support colour profiles at this point. If you want to use colour profiles, you would need to use an external program after exporting.
    Would you be more specific.

I'm used to assigning a color profile in Painter, then saving as a psd file, which also has the same profile for correct printing on the selected fine art paper.

I did export a test ArtRage file to psd; the colors sort of match in RGB, but assigning the paper icc profile in Photoshop to the exported ArtRage file completely throws the colors off.

You can't assign color profiles in ArtRage, it uses straight RGB to facilitate color blending, color profiles need to be applied to exported files in external applications (eg. in Photoshop to a PSD exported from ArtRage). There's a discussion on ways to manage this here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=36141
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

ICC Profile Workflow Clarity

The issue is that when I assign an ICC paper profile in Photoshop, the colors shift and are off.

I looked at the discussion thread, which did not help.

Not being able to have consistent colors (when printing from Photoshop) presents a big problem for printing fine art.

ArtRage just puts out pure RGB values so if your monitor and print profile are calibrated significantly differently (aside from the shift to CMYK) then there may well be a shift if you apply a profile. You may need do some post-application adjustment in your external app.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

ICC Profile Workflow Tip

My iMac monitor is fairly well calibrated using i1Match.

Although I haven't printed anything yet, I found this approach provides a decent color sync (at least on my monitor) between the original RGB ArtRage file and the exported version in Photoshop.

1) Export as a tif file, not psd

2) Open file in Photoshop; Leave as is (donít color manage)

3) Then, engage Convert to profile

Under Destination Space

Profile: your selected paper profile

4) Finally, save tif file as a psd

Make sure your conversion options are set correctly. Here are mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by soulartist; 09-26-2011 at 04:56 PM.