ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Recent Post about a Watercolor Artist?

Recent Post about a Watercolor Artist?

Some time in the last few months I'm almost positive a person here posted some stuff about a watercolor artist. I followed the link and loved it, but now I can't find it. >

Amongst other things on this artist's website was a gallery of nude studies that were fantastic- very wet and gestural, the edges of the body almost dissolving into the space of the paper. They were all usually done in a single color, some sort of soft brown. Does anyone remember who this was? I sort of feel like a dunce that I didn't bookmark the page.

Not I. But I would love to look when you get it sorted out if you could post the missing link. Good luck!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

couldn't find it with a search on the forum.

found this one you might like though.

gretchen kelly...

http://www.gretchenkellyart.com/

charles reid is also worth a look.

After too much time endlessly pouring over my web browser's history I found it.

Wendy Artin. http://www.wendyartin.com/index.htm

Click on "Images" and go to "Nudes"- though honestly, I loved all her stuff. However, I thought this woman's nude figures were utterly fantastic. She has an ability to be both highly detailed when she wants to be (notice the shadow work on the feet, and the smooth movement from pale to darker shades to create form), and yet other sections are fantastically fluid and free (sometimes the hair, other times where the skin might be very bright, and the body "dissolves" into the light). I just loved this stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas how to duplicate something like this?

My thoughts were- Obviously a monochromatic color palette. Paint on one layer to allow a smooth movement from darker to lighter shades? I would approach it with a stencil for the very fluid parts I suppose- though they're the most difficult to achieve in Artrage, for me- the stuff where hair or shadows are just dissolving into nothingness... though perhaps some sort of blender could achieve that affect? I dunno...

How to do it in the real world is fairly straight forward. But on computer? Tough one if you're looking to get it to look exactly like those looser wet drawings. The tighter stuff can be done lots of ways because the technique is more seamless and deliberate.

But for wet into wet, I would just play and see what the program can do and be okay with that. In the past I made watercolor marks on illustration board and scanned them in, imported them and used them as a layer in Photoshop before ArtRage existed. I would assign them a color and lay them over whatever and cut or erase away what I didn't want to use. Very different experience though. It was very mechanical despite how the end result looked.

In ArtRage you can turn those kinds of scanned painted wet into wet in as a stencil or template or mask or whatever they're called and then get all washy inside that. Just a thought.

But I get that you are after the controlled happy accident and I'm not real sure you can get wild surprises.

But my knowledge of the watercolor in the computer is limited. So there may be ways. Don't stop looking.

Anyway, thanks for the link. She's all that you said and more. I can see why you would want to do that kind of stuff.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I can see why you wanted to keep the bookmark. Her work is fantastic.
    Personally, I think the sepia nudes could be fairly simply reproduced with watercolor in artrage. The landscapes and buildings were amazing. They would be a bit more complicated to achieve.
    I was most impressed with the still lifes. wow.
    The falcon was really a cool little watercolor as well.
    Glad you found her thanks for sharing.

Steve,

I posted a copy of a Wendy Artin figure in after 9 forum to show a similar watercolor effect can be done in artrage.