ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How to use Dry Brush Watercolors??

How to use Dry Brush Watercolors??

So, I'm interested in being able to use some dry brush techniques with the watercolors, but I can't seem to get the results I'm looking for right now. If I reduce the Loading on the WC brush, I can get quick strokes that are dry brush, but what I'm really looking for is the ability to emulate the process of making long strokes with the side of a loaded brush. For example, if I were making wood grain or clouds, I would want to have the dry brush settings that are intermittently picking up texture, and yet have it go for a longer time, as the brush would still be loaded. I want to make long strokes with a dry brush, in a nutshell. Is there a way to achieve this? Perhaps with a different brush altogether?

I'm trying to think outside of the box of WC tools to achieve this WC effect, but I haven't had any luck so far.

Not sure if it's anything like what you're looking for, but here's an Oil Brush preset that seems similar to your description (as I understand it).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	textureoil.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	59984
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

The problem is how to get the rough textural quality of the oil or watercolor brush when they are used dry. Your example has an inset "texture" but the brush itself has a uniform exterior edge. It's not very bristly. I wonder if an imported PS brush would do the trick ..... ??

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I want to make long strokes with a dry brush, in a nutshell. Is there a way to achieve this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    The problem is how to get the rough textural quality of the oil or watercolor brush when they are used dry.
    Steve, do you mean something like this? all done with default watercolor preset "Dried Strokes" at different brush size ... and different canvas settings (roughness/grain):

Name:	110911_dried strokes 1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	310.5 KB 
ID:	59999

Name:	110911_dried strokes 3.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	60000

Here's an example of some dry brush work I did when building a dab. See how it's "bristly"? I can use this technique when doing natural media WC to do things like paint woodgrain. It's this technique that I'm trying to duplicate.

Here's the pic-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dry Brush Square, Square Pic.jpg 
Views:	9766 
Size:	409.2 KB 
ID:	60058  

I've tried to do this before, but never been complete successful. What kind of works, but takes more work, is using the "Unclean" watercolor brush. Increase the thinner to say 75%. Make your stroke.

Now switch over to the palette knife and choose the "Hard Blender" option. Pull the painted stroke around. I did this on the "Rough" paper with close results. But nothing exactly like your example.

Have you been able to get anything like that in Painter?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dry-brush.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	60062  

Hi Steve, as you can already achieve the look you want in real media, have you considered scanning it and either turning it into a stencil, or if you have photoshop, making a seamless tile that can be loaded in as a paper texture?
    If you could do the second option of loading as a texture you would be able to turn your loading up on your watercolour brush and achieve the long strokes. The textures in this example were all achieved using watercolour on different seamless textures.
    Name:  texture.png
Views: 3981
Size:  299.7 KB
    If you don't have access to a scanner or photoshop there are loads of free seamless tile texture sites out there for 3d so you may be able to find something that emulates the effect you're after there.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

?

(It's Oil Brush, by the way.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cat Boxes, a web comic