ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colour perspective question.

Gallery
    View images

Colour perspective question.

To make landscapes have depth you need to lessen the detail and size in the distance.

You also need to increase the amount of blueness, moist air absorbs the red light.

Can I do this by inserting a pale blue Layer between the foreground and background?

If I can, then how do I make a uniformly blue layer?
    Can I vary the density of the Layer?
    Can I save that Layer for use in other paintings?
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    A little late in coming perhaps, but I thought I'd give this a shot. Couldn't you modify the paper properties for any of the "in-between" layers. Each layer, transparent or not, has paper properties in the layers menu so you can make the paper a specific color or "un-transparent" the paper slightly, giving a uniformly blue haze. If you vary roughness, scaling, etc. you can even get some variation.

The only problem with this is the "upper-left" lighting of the AR workspace (unless there's a way to change this setting?). This will always be brighter than the lower-right, so the blue, wouldn't exactly be uniform, but it would be uniform in the context of the other layers of the picture (also lit the same way).

Hope this helps.
    People who speak in absolutes are always wrong.

Gallery
    View images
    A little late in coming perhaps, but I thought I'd give this a shot. Couldn't you modify the paper properties for any of the "in-between" layers. Each layer, transparent or not, has paper properties in the layers menu so you can make the paper a specific color or "un-transparent" the paper slightly, giving a uniformly blue haze. If you vary roughness, scaling, etc. you can even get some variation.

The only problem with this is the "upper-left" lighting of the AR workspace (unless there's a way to change this setting?). This will always be brighter than the lower-right, so the blue, wouldn't exactly be uniform, but it would be uniform in the context of the other layers of the picture (also lit the same way).

Hope this helps.

Gallery
    View images
    That does help a lot Thermos.

I came to ArtRage from traditional painting, with a technical knowledge of computers. Neither area gives a groundung in "layers".

I skirt round the edges of Photoshop Elements and Corel but give up shortly after hitting the layer problem. I visualized them as sheets of very thin acetate.

I will now change that image to sheets of paper that can be altered in many ways and made see- through.
    This should also make possible the traditional method of doing an underpainting, and then adding many thin glazes of colour.

I sometimes think that the ArtRage lighting has been set up for a left handed person. They often depict sunlight coming from top left.
    Not a great problem but a preference option would be nice.

Thank you.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    We made the decision to keep the lighting very simple - it's top-left to match what is typical in user interfaces.
    We could certainly put lighting control in there - the lighting renderer is very powerful and can support any number of lights in any colour - even lights that subtract colour from the scene.
    But representing that in a simple way is quite daunting.

I've attached a lighting control we've used in other apps. You add a light, it's stuck on a pin to a textured ball, and you can move the lights around to see the effect.

But that might be overkill. Maybe just a couple of presets for warmth and direction would do. Who really wants lights that suck all the blue out of a scene?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    You rule!
    I'm a total noodler and not really "proficient" at any of the graphical arts (musician by trade), but I've dabbled in 3D (Blender), 2D (Gimp), vector (Flash/Moho), and animation (all of the above), and I have to say that your approach to a clean and simple UI is perfect. Also very aesthetically pleasing. I agree that a simple lighting interface would be sufficient for this type of program, though the "pins in the ball" interface is brilliant. With the pins, you can not only control direction of the lightsource, but also have some control over the angle of attack (could play a role with heavier paper textures/thicker paint, or could be distracting overkill). I agree that subtractive lights, or even lamp colors at all, are probably not pertinent for the scope of this app, though it would be nice to control the direction, including maybe a uniform wash. Perhaps "directional without decay" might be better (you'd still get drop shadows and hilights on paper grain and strokes, but the light wouldn't diminsh across the canvas). Might look unnatural, but might help for layer work or "hand-painted textures" for the 3D nerds.
    Just babbling at this point. Keep up the good work! Keep it simple! Keep humoring me! :wink:

Gallery
    View images
    where do you find this lighting editor? i dont see it anywhere?

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Enraged,
    That lighting editor doesn't exist in ArtRage (yet!)
    The one you see there is from another application we did for a client.

Gallery
    View images
    Are we going to get it ?
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Gallery
    View images
    Magic 8-Ball says: "The future is uncertain."

A lighting editor is on our list of features to consider for future versions, but there are higher priorities.