ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .ARpack Feather Stickers

.ARpack Feather Stickers

http://fav.me/d46jjl3 Pack 1 at DeviantArt

I remember a request half a year ago for feather stickers. I'm still new to ArtRage but had my scanner up and a handy supply of Zebra Finch feathers. I cobbled together a package after seeing some tutorials.

Pack 2 at DeviantArt

I got The Gimp to work and read the ArtRage manual about stickers...
    Pack 3 at DeviantArt

OR, if you want the ENTIRE set of three in one file:
    COMPLETE FINCHFEATHER
    Last edited by computerCynthia; 08-15-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    RIP:tiny 1999 Wacom Graphire
    tablet: small Wacom Intuos4

Excellent Cynthia, thank you
    Looking forward to trying them out
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Packages are new to me. I'm up for how to make the feathers more like the recent leaf package. I'm having a ball with that.

I REALLY want these feathers. I can't unpack them and make them act like stickers. I hope you-- or anyone reading this--can help: I'm presuming that I save the download as a file, then move the zip-file into my user sticker folder, then open zip?

I'm so glad you took the time to scan feathers. I would love to use them.
    Thanks, Sue Ellen.

sueellen, you have to unpack the file you downloaded. use winzip, 7zip, et al ... or even the unpacker which comes with Windows (forgot how it is called, never used it just rightclick and check the menu for something like "unpack"? or maybe doubleclick .. .. but if you're on Mac, I dunno...).

just download the .zip file, unpack it, then open ArtRage and install the MonochromeFeathers1.arpack file by clicking file --> install package file

thanks ComputerCynthia for the feather sticker spray, very nice, I've already customized it and used it in a painting

Thank you for saying my first attempt was useful!

I spent most of today trying to get clearer scans of the feathers. I thought to put them on a red piece of felt and would zap the background out with a layer blend in Photoshop, but that erased part of the feathers. So then I discovered the tool I never used because I knew the layer setting trick: Background Eraser. And then my computer and Photoshop stopped playing nice. Now, my web host times out before I can get a file up. Basically, I've been going around in circles all day.

Thank you, MSIE. This is a great help to me, to get support from an experienced Rager. I now recognize the process you describe as what I had successfully done (in a stumbling way) to get Art Papers and Stipple Brushes. With your affirmation and your easy description of the sequence, I can approach this with calm and confidence.

(With the Feathers Pack, once I had a few things going wrong, and "fixing" it was bringing on even more wrongness, I was losing confidence that I even had a clue as to how I should accomplish this... What a mess! a file that seemed to me to be in the place where it should let me "extract all", complained that I should have copied it to a zip file first, or that the file was invalid; when I moved the file into position among User Content, it wouldn't give me "extract all" as an option... I opened it into ArtRage and when nothing happened, I panicked; I created Sticker Groups that are empty and I have put feathers all over my hard drive.)

I will take everything out for now, clear my muddled head and muddled files, then try again later with your instructions printed and next to me while I carefully work through each step.

Thank you to both of you. I'll give Feathers a rest and try again in a couple of days when I'm feeling less stupid...

Thank you, thank you.

Hmmm. And here's something interesting... I suspect that I may have done nothing wrong at all, and that my ArtRage problems are caused by the same means by which I suddenly have music in my "pictures" folder. And music I purchased no longer exists as playable in my default setting, and is only accessible through the Start Menu's "Open File Location" where I can then select which of the four files I now have for music... and some of them are in Documents... and I can't paste into Word... I had an "update" a few days ago..

Hmmm. As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say-- "never mind."

sueellen it seems there's something weird going on inside your computer ... hopefully you will get things sorted out

regarding the Feathers-package by ComputerCynthia, the only difference to other packages posted in this forum is that her .arpack file is zipped, so one has to unpack it before being able to use it as a normal .arpack file (doubleclick to install the sticker spray presets, or if AR is already open, go to file --> install package file).
    did you manage to install the feathers?

I made a custom version of ComputerCynthias sticker spray and had a lot of fun painting, see attached image

@ ComputerCynthia ~ I would be more than happy to share my preset with all of you - I won't do it without your permission, because you were the one who had all the work scanning the feathers!
    I just fiddled around with the spray settings
    again many thanks

I hope you like my feather-bird
    done entirely with the feathers-stickerspray plus some leaves ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110814_Federvogel WEB.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	482.2 KB 
ID:	58961  

That is a wonderful picture. Thank you. I'm sort of stuck just randomly testing feathers with Wacom pen strokes. I never think about how to use it in art. Maybe in a NookColor screensaver soon.

The Gimp finally cooperated and I was able to "cut out" feathers pretty freely. Full size they look really detailed. I also experimented with gloss and texture on some feather shapes so pack #3 has some more things in it. Or, if anyone is just getting around to it, I believe I got all items from all three starter kits into the complete pack, but like I say, I'm new to ArtRage packages.