ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Lion, Computer, or Me?

Lion, Computer, or Me?

Anyone else having trouble with ArtRage Pro 3.5.1 and Lion?

Although the application is working well in most respects, I note that certain tools are VERY slow to act.

Case in Point: Although a few of the palette knife tools exhibit this behavior, the 'Tiny Frost' variant is a good example. It will not long 'live resize' with the shift tool like the others, and after a stroke the display does not update for 2 to 4 seconds and then the stroke is slowly and jerkily applied.

However, you choose, say, the 'Harsh Chaos' variant, and the live resize works properly and the speed of the stroke is instant and excellent.

For myself, I've just installed this on a new Mac Mini, and I've never used ArtRage in OS 10.7 before, so I don't know if this is a Lion Issue or a Graphics Card Issue or just me. (3.5.1 works great on my Windows7 PC's though.)

Application: ArtRage Studio Pro 3.5.1
    Computer: MacMini 2011 (i7-Dual processor, 8GB Ram, Radeon 6630M Graphics)
    Other Hardware: Cintiq 21UX connected to the miniDisplay port.

I have a 2010 Mac Mini with Lion and use a USB connected Wacom Intuos 4 (small).

I just updated ArtRage Studio Pro to 3.5.1 and plat to start a sketch this weekend.

I'll post if I have any similar problems.

BTW: Very nice setup you got... new mini with a Cintiq 21UX .. nice.

The wet blender is a special case when it comes to speed. Due to the way it constructs its 'drips' the multithreading code that sped up the rest of the tool set doesn't give quite as much of a boost, so it will probably be a bit slower than the rest.

Are you seeing speed problems in any other tool or operation? If so there may be something else we can look in to.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Right.

A quick check shows that all 'Wet' Palette Knife tools are slow except for
    - Harsh Chaos
    - Heavy Blurred Frosting
    - Hard Wet Blender
    (which are all just as fast as ever)

I didn't find any other tools that were slow.

Did a check by turning off Multithreading in the preferences and you are correct ... once Multithreading is off, the 'Wet' Method tools work fine again.

Good to know! Thanks!
    (You guys work on Saturday too? When do you rest?!)

That's not what I'm seeing here, oddly. If I use the Frosted Spots preset, for example, which is a wet blender preset (as opposed to, say, Hard Out Smudge which is a standard edge knife preset) I'm seeing little to no speed difference between multithreading on an doff. This is pretty much what I expected: Turning Multithreading on shouldn't make it slower, it should make it faster but the speed increase for wet blender won't be as high as the speed increase for other blend modes.

Could you check Frosted Spots and see if that preset is behaving the way you describe?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Frosted spots is much slower with multicore turned on (although not as slow as Tiny Frost with multicore on ... Tiny frost is unusable with multicore turned on on this machine). But I turn multicore off and suddenly everything is okay.

It's hard to narrow down which part of my new setup isn't liking the multicore since almost everything has changed from my last setup.

I think I have been able to replicate the problem, though the speed difference isn't that obvious when I test here. We'll look in to it further to see if we can find out what's happening.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

On further investigation, my Slow Palette Knife problem only starts to occur when the Drip Size turns 75% or less. At 76% or above the wet palette knives are quite usable.

I set up a boot-camp partition on my Mac and installed Win7-64bit. ArtRage 3.5.1 does not exhibit the same problem in that installation of Windows (nice and fast).

I installed on an old MacMini (1.83GHz Core2Duo with 2GB running Snow Leopard) and there is no sign of any significant slowdown on that machine either.

Thanks for that! I've added this additional information to our list here for investigation.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Wow, Thanks! 3.5.2 Fixed my problem completely! All Palette knives are now at full speed!

Honour to your houses!
    Mark