ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: AR 3.5.1, OS X 10.6.7 - Garbled interface

AR 3.5.1, OS X 10.6.7 - Garbled interface

Just downloaded AR 3.5.1 to replace 3.5 and something appears to have gone horribly wrong. When I open AR, all looks well, but as soon as I maximize the window, palettes disappear. As I mouse over the canvas they reappear in "texel" patterns all garbled. AR 3.5 didn't exhibit the behavior, so I can only assume something got borked in the recent patch. Reverted to 3.5 and the problems are gone.
    Last edited by nimajneb; 07-28-2011 at 02:14 AM.

When you say that palettes disappear do you mean floating panels such as the layers panel, or only those items that live inside the ArtRage window such as the Pods, tool picker, and color picker? There is an issue related to Carbon window updates that we're looking at that can cause a redraw to fail on resize. The workaround while we work on it is usually to cause a large scale redraw of the screen either by tapping the window titlebar if it's visible, or in this case where the window has become full screen by right clicking and dragging in the canvas area to force redraws.

We'll take a look at it in 3.5.1 specifically today.

Update: We see the same problem in 3.5.0. If you make the app full screen then restart it, it won't do this, it's the transition from windowed to full screen mode that causes the redraw not to happen. Refreshing the screen by dragging the canvas around can remove it after the resize.

Update 2: Okay - fixed! We will release an update soon.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi, I'm having the same issue with OS X 10.6.8 and Artrage Studio Pro 3.5.2. I'll be painting and suddenly the interface goes blank, and the cursor leaves weird artifact trails. I have to minimize the program and then maximize it again. But after a while it does the same thing.

Does this happen during the process of painting a stroke, or is it in between strokes? Could you let me know if there are any specific things that seem to trigger it? We've not seen that behaviour during the general process of painting in testing so I'll need to narrow it down somewhat so that we can find out what's causing it.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

it has happened to me as well, in the demo. if i can reproduce it i will attempt a screen capture of it or something. for me it seems to be mostly due to moving the canvas or palettes around.

There is a situation whereby the window can go blank after moving it between monitors that we know about and are looking at, but it should only go blank once after move (and clicking the window titlebar should restore the entire screen).
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

hi matt, yeah that sounds about like what happens now that you have explained it. i appreciate you guys being so conversational about these issues.

Not quite fixed. AR 3.5.3. If I re-size the window manually (dragging lower right corner), the interface updates correctly. If however I maximize the window (or toggle from maximize to a smaller window size) with the "green" button OS X supplies, the interface still becomes all garbled. Single monitor setup, by the way.

That's something we know about and doesn't appear to be able to be fixed until we've completely updated the application structure for Cocoa. When that happens, tap the titlebar at the top of the window and it should redraw the whole thing.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.