ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colour Management for images

Unhappy Colour Management for images

Hi

I put a thread on technical recently because I was having a problem with embedding an ICC colour profile to my images created on Artrage. I need the profile embedded because I am intending to send my images to a third party to print them and they have advised that I need to embed a profile to ensure the images are printed using the same colour as my monitor.

Too technical for me!!

Anyway, the technical guys on this forum confirmed to me that Artrage does not embed any colour profile and I would need to use another software to do this.

I haven't got Photoshop so Saphire on our forum advised that maybe I should try downloading FastStone image viewer to embed a profile.

I downloaded FastStone but cannot see anywhere withing the program where I can embed a profile. I cannot even see how I select an image using the program because it seems double dutch to me not having used this software before.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who regularly embeds profiles into their images and how you would go about it. Perhaps it would be good if Artrage had this facility because I suspect a lot of Artragers out there would like to get their images professionally printed.

If anyone can help, please advise me.

Regards

here is a great image editor... I love it. called xnview.

http://www.xnview.com/

you will love this app and it is free. use it all the time to open images, crop, resize, and make other adjustments. very simple to use.

use it all the time after exporting the image as a png from artrage I open it in xnview.

hen do a save as and click on the options button and you have your choice of which data you want to save including an icc profile.

Colour management for images

Hi

I have just downloaded the xnview to my laptop and opened one of my images into it.

Then I clicked 'save as' and 'options'.

I cannot see where I embed an ICC profile from here. I'm really sorry but I don't know what to do next.

Also do I keep the image as PNG or can I change it to TIFF.

I think I know what you are after now.

example. My canon camera is set up to use srgb profile, I have photoshop also set to use the srgb profile. If I had PS set to rgb and not srgb it would ask me when loading the image whether I want to convert it from the camera setting (srgb) to the program ICC profile (rgb). I like to use srgb as my profile for the web. If I send to a proffesional printers to get them printed out I convert the image to whatever they use.

How you set up what profile you want to use in any given program I am not sure. You can check what profile is in your photos in fastone by right clicking on the image and checking the info.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

Post Colour management for images

Thank you Saphire for getting back to me.

I am looking to apply an ICC profile to a digital painting that I have done in ArtRage, not a photo.

As ArtRage does not actually have any colour management itself, I need a software to embed one into my digital painting so that any professional printer that prints out the image will know what colours I used when I originally painted it.

If I open my digital painting in FastStone and right click on it to see from the info what profile the image has, it does not tell me because as far as I can work out, the image does not have one. That is why I have to embed an ICC profile into the image.

I must say that I am very confused about the whole thing. I don't understand how I embed an ICC profile or what software to use in order to do it. Perhaps I have got the wrong end of the stick about it all. But I am still trying to work it out.

Leave it with me, I will try a few programs tomorrow I am on my ipad at the moment so can't check anything out. There are lot's of members who have had digital paintings printed, perhaps they maybe more help then myself.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

if you want to you could export the artrage .ptg file as a photoshop file.
    that should be all the printer needs really.
    I think artrage is very what you see is what you get. (wysiwyg.)

you are probably making too much of the icc thing and the photoshop export should contain the required icc profile as far as I know.
    there are already threads around here about getting artwork printed.
    here is one such thread:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...rtwork+printed

you could also search for more using the terms artwork and printed perhaps
    the search is near the top of this window. where you see the FAQ, Members list, Calendar, New Posts, Search.

Maybe give this a try;

Print to pdf file with either bullzip / doPdf / pdfCreator
    Can't say I tried this but you might give it a shot.

Hans

Question Colour management for images

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Well, I exported one of my digital paintings as a photoshop file. However, because I don't have photoshop on my computer I couldn't open it to view. I don't think the properties had anything on them to confirm if it was sRGB either.

My laptop is sRGB as far as I can make out. So if I simply export my artrage digital paintings to JPG or TIF and send them to the professional printer to print are you saying that the image will have sRGB embedded in to it. The printer apparently accepts images in RGB so will I be ok?

There are also web based services, but they are not cheap. $30-$40 pro profile. You get quickly at price of Painter 12 which does this sort of job (profile embedding)

Henry is right when he says, there is probably nothing usable in freeware sector.
    There are programmer libraries available as open source on the net but programing of wrappers for them is not everyones cup of tea.

These and even more informations you will find on ICC web site which is absolute reference for all possible questions about color profiles. ...Well, these are sometimes a bit difficult to understand due to formalistic way, the stuff is put.