Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion please

Gallery
    View images

Opinion please

Hi all
    New here & in need of some critiquing please

This is one of my first attempts at using oils in a program. Most of what I do is in charcoal/pencil on real paper, so this is quite a change for me.

I "finished" this a few minutes ago & to be honest, I think it looks more like a paint by number job than a real attempt at painting.

Any suggestions would be welcome
    thanks tons
    michele
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chkd_195.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	4607  

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Sweet, and welcome to the forum.

I find the bird very reallictic, nicely rendered.
    The background would benefit to be painted first, in order we don't see all the small paint strokes as we can see around the bird head.

But for a first attempt at using oils, I think this is very well done.
    Old

Gallery
    View images
    Welcome to the forum, sweetp409

The bird is excellent. The feathers flow nicely.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hi,

I agree Oldlink the strokes around it's head are distracting & next time the background will be done first.
    Thanks Andy for the kind words
    Happy New Year Everyone

Gallery
    View images
    Happy new year Sweet.
    Old

Gallery
    View images
    I think it is beautiful and I too loved the brush strokes of the bird and the needles on the pine tree. Keep up the nice work.

Gallery
    View images
    hey, I would say that your strokes are too small, think about areas in larger masses and not individual segments, once the larger picture is down, then go in and add complementary detail or even just suggest detail, too many strokes makes it feel like your carving away at the picture and not treating it as a 3dimensional form. I suggest also, changing the background colour, the bird almost is the same colour and in turn gets slightly lost with the background. Also, there is no real sense of light, where is the light coming from? imagine if it was an early morning with sun creeping through the trees, imagine the scattered light bouncing off everything - the blades of grass, the bird etc.. hope that helps

Gallery
    View images
    This is a very good first oil painting in my humble opinion. The only problems I see are that the birds beak and eye look a little small and the eye looks a little too far forward. The snow doesn't quite work for me either, and I think it is because of the hard edged shape that it creates. It just doesn't look fluffy. I think that either some 'puffy' edges and some small shadows in the white area would fluff it up good.

I would suggest making a model of the scene by using a big bowl of mashed potatoes and spreading them all around your studio. Observe how the light behaves from different angles and try to duplicate that without slipping and falling down. :roll: (Just a little humor there in the last bit) :shock:
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Gallery
    View images
    small comment, if you add a light spec highlight to the eye the bird will become more "alive"

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Michele

I think this is a wonderful 1st attempt. The oil of artrage is tricky to master and I think you are doing a good job already.

A tip: You could use layers (in Full version). It makes it easier to add foreground/background without the small strokes/white spots around things. But be warned; some dislike layers, feeling it kills creativity.

Happy DoodLS