ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Sturm und Drang: Sunset and Storm

Sturm und Drang: Sunset and Storm

This was an hour painting in oils on my iPad. I think it turned out fair-decent. I would love to hear some critique. Thanks very much in advance.

-Sparky.

p.s. I know the name needs some work.

Since no one else is doing it...

- The painting is way too "flat".
    - The sky should be more light at the horizon.
    - You should also try to paint clouds. Take a look at them: they have volume because the sun reflects on it. The clouds should also be smaller toward the horizon.
    - The color of the sun is "wrong." Again, it has no depth. It should be brighter toward the sun. But where is the sun?
    - The color of the ground is also "wrong." And what are those dots?

You should try to add more detail to the whole thing. Maybe give this painting an update instead of doing things from scratch. Could be a good exercise...

Tip: the airbrush is a very good tool to paint clouds.

Thanks for your comments Rage. Clouds are particularly difficult for me due to the volume. I'll have to do some sketching of them and really pay attention.

This painting was inspired by my ride to a soccer game in the evening. The colors were very subdued, and the sun was very orange and mottled coming through the clouds.

I agree the image is flat and lacking detail. I almost didn't post this piece due to that I thought might be incomplete. I think you may have hit on some points that are some of my weaknesses when it comes to artwork.

Also I would like to stay with the oil brush if possible so if you have any techniques on painting clouds with the oil brush I would be grateful.

Thanks for your critique. If others would like to add their opinion I'd be glad to hear it.

I'll post an update soon.

Thanks.

-Sparky.
    "Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."
    Terry Pratchett (A Hat Full of Sky (Tiffany Aching, #2))
    My AR Gallery

>> Also I would like to stay with the oil brush if possible so if you have any techniques on painting clouds with the oil brush I would be grateful.

Here's a thingie I did in a few minutes to illustrate how I would paint clouds with oil. I put some white oil on the sky here and there and a darker color at the bottom of the clouds and then I use the palette knife with different sizes to mix the whole bunch. The top left cloud looks quite good in my opinion.

And of course YouTube has enough learn-to-paint-clouds-with-oil-tutorials to give you inspiration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clouds tut.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	362.1 KB 
ID:	56722  

Thanks Rage very much.
    "Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."
    My AR Gallery

Hey, sorry just saw your post in my thread. XD (long wait i know sorrry)

anyways: rage is quite right it could use more depth but if i look at the large version i cant really say it needs it.
    For example when i take my cons out and stare at the sky around dawn i see almost thesame colorspots as in the picture you drew. i love the color combinations you used and there really isnt much need to add another color for the ground, since landscapes usually reflect the light that the sun bares.

all i might do is maybe use thinner brush strokes as you paint the upper part of the sky. it adds hight and changes the perspective abit.

and you might wanna add a few thin strokes of that bright orange and yellow for a radiant reflection of the land on the water, plus a few strokes of white to make the water glow. (: other than that it's lovely.

for the clouds: maybe add a few subtle shades of light grey and smear them out abit in thin strokes too.
    Last edited by Sophiya; 06-19-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Thank you Sophiya, I'll keep this in mind. I think the painting in the OP will be a good starting point for a few variations. I'll explore them and continue to post them here.
    My AR Gallery

Couple of techniques for clouds.
    1. use the glitter tool, small settings, scatter a few bits of color, then use the knife to spread and form. It can give you some good looks.

2. Paint your clouds with whatever you prefer, then use the eraser, with very light pressure, 1 to 3 percent, and set the width to fit the area you need. By erasing lightly, you can get realistic looks.

hope this helps.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery: