ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Silkie

The Silkie

Thank you kind fisherman for finding my skin.
    Next May I will return again.
    You I find pretty and kind in your way
    Until then may you find many fish each day.

I had to take time to paint this morning before returning to the repairs. Oh my gosh, I have painted so much I think I will write a most angry letter to "The Old House" show and tell them what I think about it all.

Anyway.....hope you enjoy my Scottish mythological painting or attempt at doing so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Silkie.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	56232  

I really love this Sandy... Wonderful work..
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Alexandra - I will have to find out more about this myth... but the painting is excellent, love the depths of the water and the woman's figure with the air bubbles.... great details....

I agree with you about "The Old House" those shows always make it seem to easy and quick... no problems at all..... but you must be nearing the end of your remodel if you are at the painting stage... a BIG cause to celebrate...

I had to take some information too on the story, dear Sandra!
    It looks like that at least Silkies (or Selkies?) don't seem to have any problem fitting their bathsuits, just to find them in case ...
    I like very much this artful illustration and, one way or the other, many of Your lovely characters seems to be somehow recalling You, as I may imagine it. They appear sweetly light hearted and cheerful and still full of profound sentiments and gentle feelings ... whatever I succeeded to clearly express
    Last edited by Caesar; 05-28-2011 at 09:07 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thank you Mike, so happy you liked this one.

Yes, look into this myth Ghx, another good story. I first heard about it with a Scottish movie-Ronan Inish I think-I will have to look this up as well.

What a kind comment Cesare, thank you very much dear friend. I didn't know much about them until I had Netflixed this movie-Ronin Inish-I think it is called. I was curious as my grandmother always told me I looked like the Black Dutch or Black Irish relatives. A distant grandmother was Black Dutch I think. I didn't know who these people were until I had seen this movie.

Beautiful colors Sandy and I like the mermaid
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Thanks Steve, and haha! I was afraid someone would think she was a mermaid. She is part seal and part woman. A Scottish myth, where they would climb out to the rocks and sometimes slide out of their seal skins and soak up the D. If someone found the skin, they would own the woman. If she ever found her skin again she would slide into it and go back to the sea. They had very dark or black hair and eyes, and fair skin if I am not mistaken.

If anyone else knows anything about this myth, please feel free to post here. I am fascinated with myths and legends.

Found this:
    The Secret of Roan Inish is an American independent film written and directed by John Sayles, and released in 1994. It's based on the novel The Secret of Ron Mor Skerry, by Rosalie K. Fry.[1]
    It is centered on the Irish and Orcadian folklores of selkies—seals that can shed their skins to become human. The story, set on the west coast of Ireland, is about Fiona, a young girl who is sent to live with her grandparents and her cousin Eamon near the island of Roan Inish, where the selkies are rumored to reside. It is an old family legend that her younger brother was swept away in his infancy and raised by a selkie.

makes your image all the better !

Smile

Sandy this is awesome, great work.
    Valerie

You are so clever! At first I didn't see the other more subtle face! You are a great designer....!!!!! Excellent!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes