ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sparrows Whisper - Chapter 12

The Sparrows Whisper - Chapter 12

Surprising Miss Wanda

Albright Jennings decision to take the deputy job had relieved me of at least one headache. We left the dealership and went to the jail, where we spent the afternoon going over procedures, and filling out the necessary paperwork.
    Somewhere between five and six p.m., I decided to call it a day, and walked on over to the Cafe for supper. I asked Wanda if I could have a table in the rear, out of the traffic. She led me to a booth in the back corner of the Cafe, and handed me a menu as I sat down.
    You want coffee John David?”, Wanda asked.
    Yes, that would be fine. By the way, your story about what Lacy Beth did in that train derailment incident really got my attention. I checked the reports, and somehow you failed to mention that a chaperon was on that bus too. She jumped off, took the same risks as Lacy, and helped with the wounded right along side her. That brave chaperon was you. Just wanted you to know that I know.”

Well, I was a grown woman. What Lacy Beth did, was exceptional because of her youth. I'll get your coffee”, Wanda said as she walked away.
    When Wanda brought the coffee pot and started pouring, she said,“I missed you at breakfast this morning John David. What happened, you oversleep?”
    No, tell you the truth, I had breakfast with a pretty girl this morning.”
    Wanda spilled the coffee she was pouring and asked,“You did what? Where did you have breakfast with this girl?”
    Well actually it was at her place. The more I thought about her, the more I wanted to see her again, so I called and invited her to have supper with me tonight.”
    In as angry a voice as she could muster and still keep it at a whisper level, she replied, “What the hell is wrong with you? You are bringing this girl here tonight? You know Lacy Beth eats supper here fairly often. Didn't you listen to a single thing I told you? If she comes in and sees you with this girl, it's going to break her heart. Why don't you get out of here, and take this girl to Kennett or somewhere?”
    Sorry Wanda, I just can't do that. I've been thinking all afternoon about having supper with her right here, and I'm not changing.”
    Well, maybe you will just have to go back in the kitchen and cook your food and serve it yourself, because I will not be part of seeing Lacy Beth hurt anymore!”
    I smiled and said, “As you wish Wanda, but if you don't mind, would you step to the side? I do believe my date has arrived.” Wanda turned and saw my pretty date standing there. She smiled at Wanda and sat down across from me. “Have you been waiting long John David?”
    Poor Wanda's eyes were about to pop... She looked at my date and said, “Lacy Beth....YOU are his date?”
    Lacy laughed, and said, “I most certainly am. He called me this afternoon and asked me to have supper with him.”
    Then, you are the beautiful girl he had breakfast with this morning?”
    I'm the one...” Looking at me, she asked, “Really, did you refer to me as “beautiful?”
    Well now, it wouldn't have made a very good story if I had told her that I had breakfast with an ugly girl would it?” When she stuck out her tongue, I laughed and said, “but....truth be told, I did have breakfast with a beautiful girl.”
    She turned a little red from embarrassment, and said, “Wanda has work to do. Better look at the menu and decide what you want.”
    Wanda's eyes narrowed as she asked,“And by the way......You two had breakfast at Lacy's house? Exactly how did this happen, or should I not ask?”
    Lacy Beth reached out, grabbed my hand, and said, “Well what do you think John David, can we trust her?”
    I don't know....She's liable to go spreading it all over town...”
    By this time Wanda was about to bust a gut, so both Lacy Beth and I broke out laughing.
    Lacy said, “Wanda, I can see the gears turning in your mind, but truth is, it's very simple. John David came by my house this morning to apologize, and he fixed breakfast while I got ready for work. Then he called this afternoon, and asked me if I would join him for supper. That's the story.”
    Wanda gave Lacy Beth a hug, then looked at me, and said, I think I will put a little poison in YOUR food for getting me all worked up! Then she gave me a wink and headed for the kitchen.
    After our food arrived, I filled Lacy Beth in on how the investigation was going, the Mayor's angry outburst, the firing of my deputy, and the hiring of Albright to replace him.
    My, the Sheriff has certainly had a full day.” With a twinkle in her eyes, she asked, “Anything else interesting happen today?”
    As a matter of fact, yes”, I replied. “My day started on a very pleasant note, and it seems to be ending the same way.”
    Smiling, she answered, “I'm really glad to hear you say that, and in case you are interested, I can honestly say the very same thing.”
    After we finished eating, I stopped to pay our bill, but Wanda tore it up in front of me. “This supper is on me John David, it's been a long time coming.” I thanked her, and followed Lacy out the door. Standing on the sidewalk, I looked at her and said, “Well, do you have plans for this evening?”
    No, none at all. I do have an idea... How would you like to take me to see a movie?”
    I took my time to answer, pretending to give it a great deal of thought...” Well, that depends. Are you paying?”
    She playfully punched me in the gut and said, “You are a...”
    Hold it!”, Be careful what you call me. I'm real sensitive. You might hurt my feelings.”
    Yeah right.” Grabbing me by the hand, Lacy Beth led me down to Boone's Theater. As we reached the ticket window, I stepped back a step, prompting her to say, “You really are going to make me pay aren't you? What are you doing, saving your money so you can take that blond out to eat?”
    Well, what if she called and said she was starving, and begged me to take her to supper? I couldn't hardly let her starve now could I?”
    Cindy Mae is in no danger of starving. She could do with losing a few inches of flab.”
    Now Lacy Beth, I haven't noticed any flab on Cindy at all.”
    That's because you aren't looking at the right places”, Lacy answered.
    Well, they sure looked like the right places to me..”I replied, as I waited for her reaction..,
    Lacy grabbed me by the arm, and pulled me inside. “That's enough out of you John David. Let's watch the show. If you want to examine a girl's figure, just check out the one sitting right beside you.”
    After we found seats about halfway down, I asked with some hesitancy, “Look, I don't want to put a damper on the evening, but, would you mind if I went and watched some of the first movie in the seats where Emma was killed? I just want to get some sense of what the situation was that night”
    Sure, all my first dates leave me and investigate a murder or two. Why should you be different? Well, if that's what you need to do, then I'm going with you.” She gave me a wink, and said, “After all, I paid for this, so I'm insisting on
    Chapter won't fit. The rest can be read here:
    http://barnburner1946.deviantart.com...42974#/d3gud89
    Painting is dark, pls view in full size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walk.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	56057  
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Superb dear Barn
    I think I have a good idea how this is going to pan out
    But then I do read a heck of a lot of romance novels
    In one year I read all the romance books in our town library and more
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mannafig View Post
    Superb dear Barn
    I think I have a good idea how this is going to pan out
    But then I do read a heck of a lot of romance novels
    In one year I read all the romance books in our town library and more
    Well, then I suppose I should not be surprised that you have already figured this one out. But, let's don't tell anybody else that it ends up with John David and Emma Robert's Momma getting it on....o.k.?

Thank you so very much Amanda..
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Hahaha Your secret is safe with me
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Murder...romance...mystery...a possible cover up. Quite a tale you are spinning mike !!!
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by semd74 View Post
    Murder...romance...mystery...a possible cover up. Quite a tale you are spinning mike !!!
    LOL...What was it the old Carnival Barkers used to yell, "Something For Everybody!"?
    Thanks a lot Steve. I appreciate it very much.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Another great chapter Mike. I am as always waiting for the next chapter.
    Aw shucks Ma'am.... it weren't nothin....
    Your support and encouragement drives me to try and keep improving. Thank you Sandy.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

"If you want to examine a girl's figure, just check out the one sitting right beside you.”

Yikes, what happens to "being gently suggestive" here dear Barn?

This John David's mind is work!!!!

Good chapter.

No doubt JD's charm is clearly irradiated from Your portraits of him.
    So, in order not to make Lacy Beth get worried about his condition and also because it can be possibly considered a Sheriff's duty, if I were John David I wouldn't wait anymore to check LB figure in the meantime, just to keep on the safe side (until some other check may occur at least) and to fulfill a citizen's request of course.
    I wouldn't like that someone start wondering whether a guy who tried to fly from a barn roof may eventually have (or have suffered) some damage and wrong rumours take place ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!